Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our dog had heartworm test-blook drawn from cephalic vein 7…

Our dog had heartworm...

Our dog had heartworm test-blook drawn from cephalic vein 7 days ago. He is still limping and doesn't want anyone to touch the lower left front leg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

We don't see anything-he's a very hairy golden retriever but we've checked thoroughly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Pinto

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pinto?

No. He's 1.5 years, healthy and all test from blood, etc taken last weekend came back negative. Stays inside and very healthy.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

Are you able to look at the area?

Does it look red or swollen or is it painful to touch?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does look slightly swollen (larger than right side) at joint. Also painful to touch. It's like he won't put his "paw" down but is standing "tip toe-ish"
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we work through this without a phone call. If not, I'll just take him to the vet tomorrow.

Yes - i cant talk on the phone either.

Give me a minute to type

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thanks. I'm just getting back to back pop-ups to have you call. thanks and please take your time.

It sounds like he has phlebitis which is inflammation (and possibly infection) of the vein. This sometimes occurs after blood taking.

I would try puting an ice pack on the area if you can or running the paw under cold water. Do this every few hours.

If this improves the swelling and discmofort then it is likely to just inflammation and will improve on its own.

If it does not improve with this treatment by tomorrow then you will need to see your vet for an examintion, antibiotics and possibly anti-inflamatories.

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thank you so much. We really appreciate it. Hope you have a great night.

My pleasure - you too.

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Veterinarian