Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My guinea pig will not move nor eat and drink.I found her…

Customer Question
My guinea pig will...

My guinea pig will not move nor eat and drink.I found her like this last baggy when I realized she wasn’t making any noise so I checked up on her .I gave her fresh food and water near her and she will not take it.I barely picked her up now and she seems to be wheezing ,can’t walk, sweating in her belly and just pooed when I picked her up but it stoped to I cheached her rear and it looks stuck!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your guinea pig. What is your guinea pig's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** when we adopted her we weren’t given an age

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Brownie?

I’m not sure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brownie?

Mo

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Veterinary
3/18/2018
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I have to say that this isn't good.

Her signs are non-specific but with the wheezing its likely she has pneumonia. Though what makes this situation even worse is that her being off food/fluids means she is high risk for dehydration and GI stasis which is one of the few true emergencies for them. So, to given Brownie a fighting chance, we need her seen urgently by a local ER vet as soon as possible.

If she is so weak and wheezing, she likely needs oxygen to start. Then once she is more stable the vet can examine her for those above concerns. Based on that, they can target treatment for any respiratory disease but also start pain relief, pro-motility drugs, +/- antibiotics for her gut .

Any delay and you can at least try to gently hand feed her and offer water, but if she is struggling to breathe we need the vet addressing that first (since its so critical to life, even for us). Though with regards ***** ***** if we were to do so, we'd ideally want her on a critical care feed ( Oxbow’s Critical Care feed or Supreme Recovery diet). Though as a short term option you could make a slurry to syringe with veggie baby food, canned pumpkin, and her pelleted feed crushed into this to make a slurry.

In regards ***** ***** if she is severely dehydrated then the vet might give sterile fluids under her skin. Otherwise, you can try tempting her with pedialyte (fruity flavors are best tolerated) or diluted Gatorade (50% diluted with water). These will help replenish electrolytes and get some glucose into her system. If she isn't keen on it, you can give pedialyte via dropper of syringe. A typical dose for animals is 4.8mls per 100 grams of body weight per day (obviously divided over all day drinking). This is her maintenance rate and it is a good starting place for supporting her against dehydration.

Overall, I am quite concerned about Brownie and her prognosis is guarded here. We really need her seen for oxygen and treatment. Any delay and you can try to counter the likely developing stasis but do so with care and stop if she has any breathing struggles (since we don't want to push her over the edge).. Overall, prompt treatment and supportive care are the best things we can do to get this under control and give this little one the best chance of recovery.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet, you can find one near you at http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm, http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html or @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ as these vets usually will see pocket pets as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**