Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Ferret has a limp after tussle with cat. No scratches or…

Young ferret has a...

Young ferret has a limp after tussle with cat. No scratches or puncture wounds that I can see on his leg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the ferret bleeding a lot?

No bleeding at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the ferret's name and age?

He's probably about 2-3 months; it's micky

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the ferret's name?

Micky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Micky?

Nah, just that

3/17/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. How long ago did this tussle happen?
Oh just earlier today; probably about 5 or 6 hours ago.
He's moving around ok (just a bit slower) and seems fine. It's mostly just noticeable when he runs. We scruffed him and kinda lightly ran our hand over his leg and couldn't feel any punctures or matted hair there. When they were fighting I heard banging like a shelf fell over or something, took me about 20 seconds or so to get upstairs while they were going at it.
Ok. This is one of those situations where this may be more serious. Cat tussles can have bites involved. Cat bites can cause infection at that site and sometimes the bite is next to impossible to find. As far as at home, all you can really do there is to let him rest and to have good nutrition and hydration. If he is not improving, swelling is happening, he isn’t eating - then antibiotics through your vet would most likely be needed. Hopefully this is just some area that is sore and isn’t going to progress.
Ok cool, yeah that's about what I was thinking too. What time frame would you consider improvement if it were just some kind of sprain / bruise vs bite?
I would hope a sprain would be looking good in a day or two. If he’s eating, not getting worse and no swelling or specific area of pain is found - then things may just need time.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Ok, excellent. Thanks a million.