Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Interpersonal Communication 1. A client tells you, the

Interpersonal Communication1. A client tells...
Interpersonal Communication1. A client tells you, the veterinary assistant, that her cat, Gizmo, has had a lump on his neck for two days. What should you say to her?
A. "A lump is something to be concerned about."
B. "Try not to worry. The doctor will be able to discuss your concerns."
C. "Does Gizmo seem to be irritated by it? What about when you touch it?"
D. "Has Gizmo had cancer in the past?"2. To deal with a stressful situation, a person may refuse to admit or acknowledge that the situation exists. This defense mechanism is referred to as
A. denial.
B. displacement.
C. repression.
D. temporary withdrawal.3. What is a monotone voice?
A. A type of answering service that handles calls during off hours
B. A pleasant voice that shows enthusiasm and warmth
C. A voice that doesn't show a change in feeling or pitch
D. A low-pitched, rich voice often heard in speakers using a microphone4. Which of the following examples is considered an appropriate practice for a collection call?
A. Contacting the relatives and/or employer of the debtor
B. Calling the debtor late at night or very early in the morning because you know he or she is probably home
C. Calling the debtor every day for one week
D. Courteously asking the debtor for a payment5. Doing and saying the right thing at the right time is considered
A. kindness.
B. empathy.
C. tact.
D. courtesy.6. Frank has been a veterinary assistant for three years. He's competent and enjoys his work. Lately, however, he's been unable to get his job off of his mind. Sometimes, he even has nightmares about the amount of work he has to do, and he worries that he'll never get caught up. Which of the following is the most positive way for Frank to cope with his stress?
A. Drink alcohol
B. Exercise
C. Take a vacation
D. Call in sick7. Select the word in which the "h" should not be enunciated.
A. Perhaps
B. Why
C. Honest
D. Wharf8. A new veterinary assistant has overbooked a veterinarian for a particular day. In addition, the veterinarian is late returning from a class she teaches across town. The waiting room is backed up, some of the clients are getting anxious, and some of the patients are obviously uncomfortable. What should the assistant do?
A. Make an announcement to everyone that the veterinarian is late and you have no idea when she'll arrive.
B. Talk to the clients one at a time, beginning with those who will have the shortest wait. Ask them if they would like to reschedule, cancel, or wait.
C. Talk to the clients one at a time, beginning with those who will have the longest wait. Ask them if they would like to reschedule, cancel, or wait.
D. Have someone go out and try to track down the veterinarian.9. Mike, a veterinary assistant, usually wears jeans with holes in the knees and old sneakers to work. Although Mike's a perfectionist, his attire may indicate otherwise. What do his clothes say about him?
A. That he's sloppy and a bit unprofessional
B. That he's the kind of person who likes to be comfortable
C. That veterinary assistants usually wear comfortable clothes
D. That professional attire doesn't matter for veterinary assistants10. Which of the following statements best describes good listeners?
A. They're able to interpret a person's message while performing multiple tasks.
B. They compare what a person is saying with his or her body language to interpret a message.
C. They dominate the conversation so the other person doesn't sit in uncomfortable silence.
D. They're so good at interpreting a person's message that they can, and will, finish the other person's sentences.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
11. A client and her Cocker Spaniel enter the office and approach you. At the same time, the veterinarian appears to request a file, the phone rings, and a small child in the waiting room asks you for a book. The first thing you should do is
A. attend to the needs of the child.
B. greet the client who just entered with her dog.
C. retrieve the file the veterinarian has requested.
D. answer the phone.12. Mr. Jackson has just told the veterinary assistant, Nick, that his dog is dying. Nick's response is, "I'm really sorry. Losing a beloved pet can be really tough." In his response, Nick is displaying which of the following personality traits?
A. Empathy
B. Courtesy
C. Tact
D. Patience13. The veterinary assistant should never let the phone ring more than _______ time(s).
A. two
B. one
C. three
D. four14. Three of the following remarks are insensitive to others, and one is sensitive. Select the one remark that's sensitive.
A. "Mrs. Lawson, go ahead and pour yourself and Mr. Lawson a cup of coffee if you like. I'm too busy to wait on you right now."
B. "Would Eric and Jenna like to read? Here's a truck book for boys, and here's a cute little bunny story for Jenna."
C. "Mrs. Lawson, didn't you tell me that ***** *****kes trucks? And Jenna likes bunnies? Here are some books they might like."
D. "Someone will have to help Mr. Lawson when he gets here—he's the one in the wheelchair."
15. Which of the following is the best way for a veterinary assistant to answer the phone?
A. "Hi, this is Betsy. How may I help you?"
B. "Good afternoon, Seaside Animal Clinic, please hold."
C. "Thank you for calling Lakeshore Veterinary Hospital, Molly speaking."
D. "Hello."16. The assistant has been asked to call a client about a delinquent account. Which of the following is the best way to handle the call?
A. "Hello, is this Mr. Pike? Liz from Dr. Thompson's office here. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but if you don't pay your bill immediately, we're going to have to send it to a collection agency."
B. "Hello, Mr. Pike. This is Liz from Dr. Thompson's office. How are you today? Good, glad to hear it. I called because I was concerned about not hearing from you in a while. I know you've always kept your account current in the past. Maybe we could work out a payment plan for the amount that's overdue?"
C. "Hello, is Mr. Pike there? No? Could you tell him Dr. Thompson's office called about his account?"
D. "Richard? Richard Pike? Hi there, this is Liz from Dr. Thompson's office. Remember me, the redhead who went to school with your nephew? Yeah, how's old Kenny doing, anyway? He always used to tell the funniest jokes. Listen, the reason I'm calling—I really hate to have to do this, but it's business, you know? I was wondering, maybe we could work out a payment plan. A little now, then a little each month until your account is square."17. Which of the following describes the physical and/or psychological changes that occur in the body as a result of a change in the environment?
A. Stress
B. Psychosomatic illness
C. Burnout
D. Depression18. A coworker continually makes derogatory comments about your smoking even though you don't smoke at work. She has even brought in literature about the dangers of smoking and posted it around your desk. You feel harassed. You should
A. tell the veterinarian.
B. thank her for her concern and ask her to stop.
C. tell her off.
D. report her to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.19. Tanya became a veterinary assistant because she loves the work, but no matter how hard she tries or how many overtime hours she works, she never seems to be able to please her perfectionist boss. She has become so rundown that she often has to call in sick with a cold or the flu, and she's depressed much of the time. What is Tanya probably suffering from?
A. Temporary withdrawal
B. Malingering
C. Burnout
D. Regression20. Mrs. Keefer thinks her Siamese cat could be expecting kittens. She asks you, the veterinary assistant, if her cat's swollen abdomen means she's pregnant. You should reply,
A. "Probably. My cat looked like that before, and she gave birth."
B. "Yes, I bet it does."
C. "I'm certain the veterinarian will be able to let you know for sure, Mrs. Keefer."
D. "I'm not sure, Mrs. Keefer. We'll just have to wait and see."
3/17/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

1. C

2. A
3. C
4. D
5. C
6. C
7. D
8. C
9. A
10. B
11. B
12. A
13. A
14. B
15. C
16. B
17. A
18. B
19. C
20. C

Chelsea Schwarb
Hi Mariam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb