Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 7mo Great is having diarrhea, won’t eat or drink and had…

Customer Question
My 7mo Great is...

My 7mo Great is having diarrhea, won’t eat or drink and had heavy thick drool. He seems to have no energy and just looks sad. Stool appears to possibly have blood in it from the smell

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Great Dane

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Great Dane. What is the Great Dane's name?

Bruce Wayne

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruce?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Veterinary
3/16/2018
Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Bruce Wayne (love the name).

I'm so sorry he's sick, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Based on the description you've provided, I'm really worried about a disease called parvo. Do you know how many vaccinations he's had for parvo? When was the last one?

An additional concern with these symptoms is the possibility for some type of GI obstruction. This can occur if he swallows something that isn't passing.

The bot***** *****ne is that these symptoms definitely warrant a trip to the vet, even if that's on an emergency basis now that it's Friday evening. I would not feel safe recommending you wait until Monday to have him seen with these symptoms. With puppies, even large breed puppies, we don't have much time to wait and see because they simply get too sick too quickly.

He needs to see the vet ASAP.

I'm so sorry I don't have better news for you. I know how worrisome a situation like this can be. Your quick action now, however, in getting him to the vet as quickly as possible may be life-saving for Mr. Wayne.

To be clear, sometimes puppies get a mild case of vomiting or diarrhea simply from eating something unusual that upsets their stomach. In those cases, however, the puppy will typically act bright and alert and be totally normal between bouts of vomiting and/or diarrhea. They eat normally and everything.

Those cases can often get better on their own without treatment.

It sounds to me, however, like Bruce Wayne is sicker than that.

At this age, the most common thing to cause these symptoms would be parvo, even if he's been vaccinated before.

You can learn more about parvo here at the link below. Go to the page then look at the menu items you can click on listed on the right side of the page.

I know this can be a scary diagnosis to face, but rest assured your vet can determine if this is parvo with a simple lab test.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1199

The suspicion for parvo is high enough, in fact, that any plan for treating Bruce Wayne should include a parvo test, just so you can rule it out.

Parvo isn't easy to treat, and I'm afraid I have to let you know that the mortality rate can be high. That means it's really important to get Bruce Wayne to a vet as quickly as possible.

I know you must be worried about him. Please let me know how else I can help.

If you have additional questions, please type them in and click SEND/REPLY.

I'm so sorry I have to deliver this worrisome news to you, but it's important for you to have accurate and thorough information about Bruce Wayne's symptoms.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Just checking in to ask how Bruce Wayne is doing today. Is he doing any better?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo