Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

1. Which of the following statements about administering…

1. Which of the following...
1. Which of the following statements about administering intravenous fluids is correct?
A. IV catheters are usually placed in the jugular vein of small and large animals.
B. To save time in an emergency, drugs are administered through a direct injection rather than the IV catheter already in place.
C. Fluids are given through an intravenous catheter to help maintain the patient's blood pressure.
D. You, the veterinary assistant, are responsible for injecting the needle into the animal's vein.2. Which of the following surgical procedures is commonly performed to look for disease processes in the abdomen?
A. Ovariohysterectomy
B. Exploratory laparotomy
C. Onychectomy
D. Orthopedic surgery3. The standard amount of time to perform a surgical scrub with chlorhexidine is
A. until no dirt is visible.
B. 10 minutes.
C. 3–5 minutes.
D. 1–3 minutes.4. What is the term that describes when an animal is having trouble giving birth?
A. Arrhythmia
B. Dystocia
C. Anemia
D. Caesarian
5. What instrument would the veterinarian use to see inside a patient's stomach?
A. Endoscope
B. Palpate unit
C. Scavenging unit
D. Otoscope6. What type of surgery is performed on bones and joints?
A. Orthopedic
B. Necropsy
C. Biopsy
D. Dehorning7. Elissa and Maria are discussing why a veterinarian would perform a necropsy. Elissa says a necropsy might identify the disease of an animal's body organs or tissues. Maria says a necropsy is done to investigate the cause of an animal's death. Who is correct?
A. Neither is correct.
B. Only Maria is correct.
C. Both are correct.
D. Only Elissa is correct.
8. How old should a female puppy or a kitten be before they're old enough for an ovariohysterectomy?
A. Two months
B. Five months
C. Four to six months
D. Six to nine months9. You're assisting a veterinarian who is performing surgery on a dog. The anesthetist checks the patient's respiratory rate, heart rate, and blood pressure at 12:15 pm. When should she check these vital signs again?
A. 12:16 PM
B. 12:45 PM
C. At the end of the procedure
D. 12:20 PM10. You're observing a veterinarian performing surgery on a female dog. You watch as the surgeon ties off the vessels to the ovaries and removes the ovaries, uterus, and uterine horns. The surgeon is performing a(n)
A. Cesarian section.
B. ovariohysterectomy.
C. onychectomy.
D. exploratory laparotomy.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
11. Petra and Sean are disposing of hazardous medical waste. Petra will seal needles and removed organs in a special bag for disposal. Sean will put the needles in a sharps container for disposal. Who is correctly packing medical waste for disposal?
A. Both
B. Only Petra
C. Neither
D. Only Sean12. During what process is sterile saline poured into the surgical site?
A. Lavage
B. Infusion
C. Ligate
D. Suction13. Onychectomies are performed on dogs and cats to
A. remove one or more claws.
B. assist animals having difficulty giving birth.
C. help prevent diseases.
D. return a prolapsed organ to its normal location.14. An anesthesia machine contains which of the following pieces of equipment?
A. Fiberoptic elements, tubing, an oxygen source, and a breathing bag
B. A vaporizer, a suction unit, tubing, an oxygen source, and a scavenging unit
C. A vaporizer, tubing, an oxygen source, a ground plate, and a scavenging unit
D. A vaporizer, tubing, an oxygen source, a breathing bag, and a scavenging unit15. An emasculator would be used by a veterinarian to perform a
A. tail docking on a doberman pinscher.
B. caesarian section on a cat.
C. dehorning on a goat.
D. castration on a horse.16. What would you use to clean blood from an animal after surgery?
A. Rubbing alcohol
B. Hydrogen peroxide.
C. Soap and water
D. Iodine17. Veterinary assistant A is preparing an animal for surgery and will clip its fir in the surgery preparation room. Veterinary assistant B is also preparing an animal for surgery and will clip its fir in the operating room. Who is clipping the animal's fir in the correct room?
A. Both veterinary assistants
B. Veterinary assistant B
C. Veterinary assistant A
D. Neither veterinary assistant18. Which of the following statements about IV catheters is correct?
A. The catheter site must be clipped and scrubbed with surgical antiseptic
B. A catheter that is clogged is considered patent
C. IV catheters are placed in a peripheral artery to administer fluids to surgical patients
D. The smaller the number gauge, the smaller its diameter19. _______ describes a level of anesthesia at which it's safe for the veterinarian to perform surgery without the risk of the patient feeling pain.
A. Tranquilization
B. Analgesia
C. General anesthesia
D. Induction
20. When assisting the doctor in surgery, the surgical assistant will be responsible for all of the following activities except
A. passing surgical instruments to the doctor.
B. packing and labeling surgical specimen for analysis.
C. cutting suture after the surgeon ties a knot.
D. retracting tissue and holding organs.
3/16/2018
Cher
Cher, Teacher

Hi, Mariam.

I can help you with this exam, also. I will send the answers when completed, most likely tomorrow or the next day.

Best wishes,

Cher

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Cher, Thanks. I need to submit asap

You're most welcome! I'm overwhelmed with questions, but will try to give yours priority.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Cher, I am so sorry i am overwhelming you with all these questions. But i really appreciate your help

Thanks, Mariam; you're sweet!

I'm so sorry, but I woke up not feeling well today, however, I made sure to finish the last test I did for you. I have to rest and won't be able to do the test listed here. I'm going to 'opt out' and leave your question open to all other experts.

I feel very badly, that I can't do this test for you, but who ever expects illness?! : ( Also, my daughter is pregnant and her Baby Shower is Sunday, so I must get better by then!

I hope you understand.

Thanks,

Cher

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi Mariam, this Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help with your questions, if you still need assistance with these?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Cher, I totally understand. Hope you feel better soon and congrats to your daughter
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr Beth, Thanks yes i still do

Ok let me see if I can copy and paste these with the answers bolded for you-

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i reposted the question cause i was missing 5 more

JustAnswer admins won't let us answer animal questions if they appear to be homework questions, they have to have the category of homework as well as pet or vet, which this one is marked as so we are good.

D. You, the veterinary assistant, are responsible for injecting the needle into the animal's vein.

2. Which of the following surgical procedures is commonly performed to look for disease processes in the abdomen?

A. Ovariohysterectomy
B. Exploratory laparotomy
C. Onychectomy
D. Orthopedic surgery

3. The standard amount of time to perform a surgical scrub with chlorhexidine is

A. until no dirt is visible.
B. 10 minutes.
C. 3–5 minutes.
D. 1–3 minutes. (this is what I would choose, recent study recommends 2 minutes if you have to argue this with an instructor: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22000737 )

4. What is the term that describes when an animal is having trouble giving birth?

A. Arrhythmia
B. Dystocia
C. Anemia
D. Caesarian

A. Endoscope
B. Palpate unit
C. Scavenging unit
D. Otoscope

6. What type of surgery is performed on bones and joints?

A. Orthopedic
B. Necropsy
C. Biopsy
D. Dehorning

7. Elissa and Maria are discussing why a veterinarian would perform a necropsy. Elissa says a necropsy might identify the disease of an animal's body organs or tissues. Maria says a necropsy is done to investigate the cause of an animal's death. Who is correct?

A. Neither is correct.
B. Only Maria is correct.
C. Both are correct.
D. Only Elissa is correct.

A. Two months
B. Five months
C. Four to six months (this is debatable - at my shelter we spay as early as two months - but in practice most vets say 4-6 months, but not an absolute standard and also can depend on the breed for dogs)
D. Six to nine months

9. You're assisting a veterinarian who is performing surgery on a dog. The anesthetist checks the patient's respiratory rate, heart rate, and blood pressure at 12:15 pm. When should she check these vital signs again?

A. 12:16 PM
B. 12:45 PM
C. At the end of the procedure
D. 12:20 PM

10. You're observing a veterinarian performing surgery on a female dog. You watch as the surgeon ties off the vessels to the ovaries and removes the ovaries, uterus, and uterine horns. The surgeon is performing a(n)

A. Cesarian section.
B. ovariohysterectomy.
C. onychectomy.
D. exploratory laparotomy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you can only help with the first 10?

Nope just breaking them up so I'm working on the others now-

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh thank god :) thank you

A. Both
B. Only Petra
C. Neither
D. Only Sean

12. During what process is sterile saline poured into the surgical site?

A. Lavage
B. Infusion
C. Ligate
D. Suction

13. Onychectomies are performed on dogs and cats to

A. remove one or more claws.
C. help prevent diseases.
D. return a prolapsed organ to its normal location.

14. An anesthesia machine contains which of the following pieces of equipment?

D. A vaporizer, tubing, an oxygen source, a breathing bag, and a scavenging unit

15. An emasculator would be used by a veterinarian to perform a

A. tail docking on a doberman pinscher.
B. caesarian section on a cat.
C. dehorning on a goat.
D. castration on a horse.

16. What would you use to clean blood from an animal after surgery?

A. Rubbing alcohol
B. Hydrogen peroxide.
C. Soap and water
D. Iodine

17. Veterinary assistant A is preparing an animal for surgery and will clip its fir in the surgery preparation room. Veterinary assistant B is also preparing an animal for surgery and will clip its fir in the operating room. Who is clipping the animal's fir in the correct room?

A. Both veterinary assistants
B. Veterinary assistant B
C. Veterinary assistant A
D. Neither veterinary assistant

18. Which of the following statements about IV catheters is correct?

D. The smaller the number gauge, the smaller its diameter

19. _______ describes a level of anesthesia at which it's safe for the veterinarian to perform surgery without the risk of the patient feeling pain.

A. Tranquilization
B. Analgesia
C. General anesthesia
D. Induction

Having a tough time with question 20, I think an assistant would do any of those things...

I'm going to choose B as that would be done after surgery, not during surgery - or passed off to a non-sterile assistant.

Hope that helps for you, thanks for the great rating :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your welcome :) there is still 5 more questions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will try to resend them
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
21. During surgery, exposed organs that aren't being immediately operated on should be protected by sponges moistened with sterile saline. This is done to prevent
A. infection.
B. drying.
C. prolapsing.
D. inadvertent incisions.22. Which of the following is the recommended IV fluid rate to maintain blood pressure in an animal patient that's undergoing surgery?
A. 10–20 ml/lb of body weight
B. 100 ml/kg of body weight
C. 100 ml/lb of body weight
D. 10–20 ml/kg of body weight23. Russ and Alan are discussing anesthetics. Russ says a sedative relaxes the patient and an analgesic reduces the sensitivity to pain. Alan says a sedative reduces the sensitivity to pain and an analgesic relaxes the patient. Who is correct?
A. Neither is correct.
B. Only Russ is correct.
C. Only Alan is correct.
D. Both are correct.24. When securing a dog or cat to the surgery table in dorsal recumbency, a double-loop is used on the leg(s) to
A. help keep the heating pad stable.
B. keep it raised in the air, making the surgical scrub easier.
C. keep the legs out of the way.
D. decrease the chances of cutting off circulation to the feet.25. What would you use to sterilize surgical instruments?
A. ECG machine
B. Autoclave
C. Hydrogen peroxide
D. Soap and water

A. infection.
B. drying.
C. prolapsing.
D. inadvertent incisions.

22. Which of the following is the recommended IV fluid rate to maintain blood pressure in an animal patient that's undergoing surgery?

A. 10–20 ml/lb of body weight
B. 100 ml/kg of body weight
C. 100 ml/lb of body weight
D. 10–20 ml/kg of body weight

23. Russ and Alan are discussing anesthetics. Russ says a sedative relaxes the patient and an analgesic reduces the sensitivity to pain. Alan says a sedative reduces the sensitivity to pain and an analgesic relaxes the patient. Who is correct?

A. Neither is correct.
B. Only Russ is correct.
C. Only Alan is correct.
D. Both are correct.

24. When securing a dog or cat to the surgery table in dorsal recumbency, a double-loop is used on the leg(s) to

A. help keep the heating pad stable.
C. keep the legs out of the way.
D. decrease the chances of cutting off circulation to the feet.

25. What would you use to sterilize surgical instruments?

A. ECG machine
B. Autoclave
C. Hydrogen peroxide
D. Soap and water

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian