Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

1. In which of the following types of injections is the

medication injected under the skin? A...
1. In which of the following types of injections is the medication injected under the skin?
A. Subcutaneous
B. Intraperitoneal
C. Intramuscular
D. Intravenous2. Your veterinarian has asked you to select a urinary catheter appropriate for catheterizing a male German Shepherd dog. Based on your knowledge of veterinary nursing, you should select a
A. flexible rubber catheter.
B. semi-rigid plastic catheter.
C. Foley catheter.
D. stainless-steel catheter.3. When should medications that are administered to an animal be recorded in the animal's medication records?
A. As soon as the veterinarian has time
B. As soon as the medication is given
C. When the animal is discharged
D. At the end of every work shift4. The quickest parenteral method of administering fluids and electrolytes to an animal is
A. subcutaneous.
B. oral.
C. intravenous.
D. intraperitoneal.5. The least desirable of the following four routes for administering fluid to a sick foal is the _______ route.
A. intraperitoneal
B. subcutaneous
C. intravenous
D. intraosseous6. You're assisting a veterinarian who is performing routine venipuncture on a horse. An acceptable site for this venipuncture would be the
A. external jugular vein.
B. coccygeal (tail) vein.
C. medial saphenous vein.
D. cephalic vein.7. The most serious complication of nasogastric intubation in a horse is
A. accidental dislodging of the tube from the nose.
B. passing the tube into the trachea by accident.
C. possible vomiting.
D. a nosebleed.8. You're assisting a veterinarian with the reproduction examination of a mare. The veterinarian should use the double-sleeve technique to
A. cleanse the perineal area.
B. perform an endometrial biopsy.
C. remove endometrial lesions.
D. guard the culture rod against contamination.
9. Decubital ulcers occur most commonly
A. on the corneas.
B. on paw pads.
C. over bony regions of a recumbent animal's body.
D. on top of the head.10. Hospitalized animals should eat
A. less than normal amounts of food.
B. two to four times daily.
C. only high-calorie density supplements.
D. only when the animal wants to eat.11. The best use of fluorescein stain in an eye examination is to check for
A. bacterial infection.
B. a corneal ulcer.
C. developmental defects.
D. glaucoma.12. Wendy and Sean are discussing the measurement of central venous pressure. Wendy says that you need a manometer to measure the pressure. Sean says that you can use a piece of sterile extension venotubing and a yardstick. Who is correct?
A. Both are correct.
B. Neither is correct.
C. Only Sean is correct.
D. Only Wendy is correct.13. Intramuscular injections in the hind legs should never be administered to
A. goats.
B. young pigs.
C. sheep.
D. race horses.14. Dosages of drugs that are mixed in an animal's drinking water aren't as accurate as other drugs because
A. the drug often doesn't dissolve or mix well with water.
B. animals may consume varying amounts of water.
C. chemicals in the water may affect the potency of the drug.
D. it's difficult to accurately measure the amounts of water or medication.
15. You're helping to care for recumbent animals in a veterinary hospital. One way to prevent these animals from developing decubital sores is to
A. use slings to avoid continuous pressure on bony areas.
B. avoid turning or moving the animals too much.
C. bathe the animal as little as possible to avoid irritating the skin.
D. use impermeable bedding material that keeps moisture near the skin.
16. Which of the following best describes gastric intubation?
A. Always performed by a veterinary assistant
B. A method to administer food and medication
C. Needed to maintain surgical anesthetic levels
D. Commonly performed with the animal in dorsal recumbency17. Ear venipuncture is a common site for which of the following animals?
A. Horses
B. Cattle
C. Pigs
D. Dogs18. Combining an animal's medications into infused fluid is a practice that can
A. kill an animal.
B. prove toxic, but not fatal.
C. interfere with central venous pressure readings.
D. render some medications ineffective.19. Which of the following is true of obtaining a milk sample for mastitis testing?
A. You should wash the udder thoroughly before obtaining the sample.
B. Samples for testing should be collected immediately after milking.
C. Milk samples should be kept warm until they're delivered to the lab for testing.
D. You should use sterile plastic or glass tubes to collect samples for testing.20. Which one of the following steps would a veterinary assistant perform during venipuncture of the cephalic vein?
A. Withdraw blood into the syringe.
B. Occlude the cephalic vein.
C. Insert the syringe into the vein.
D. Apply pressure to the site after the syringe is removed.
3/16/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

1. A
2. A
3. B
4. B
5. A
6. A
7. B
8. D
9. C
10. B
11. B
12. B
13. D
14. B
15. C
16. B
17. C
18. A
19. B
20. D

Chelsea Schwarb
Hi Mariam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb