Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Swollen front leg at wrist 13 and half year puggle. Harley.

Customer Question
Swollen front leg at...

Swollen front leg at wrist 13 and half year puggle

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Puggle's name?

Harley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

He does have joint problem

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Veterinary
3/12/2018
Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Harley. Can you upload a photo(s) of Harley's carpus (wrist) to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

He has had Both back knees ACL's torn when he was 10 and doctor has him on rimadlyl for pains for the last 2months he does limp off and on as he gets up and gets moving it gets better.

The swelling is worrisome for osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in that area of the radius or ulna. This is quite painful, however. Is Harley particularly lame on his right front leg?

He does limp on that leg but it has been going on for over some time now but as he gets up and gets moving it seems to get better

Yes, I see the swelling. Do you think that Harley is particularly lame on his right front leg? I know that he's likely to be quite osteoarthritic in his stifles (knees) and so it's not unreasonable to be suffering from osteoarthritic carpi (wrists) as well.

he is but seems to get better has he gets walking more he just had blood work done and pee test and vet said everything was great

Thank you. I would have that carpal joint X-rayed. His vet should be able to distinguish osteoarthritis from neoplasia (e.g., osteosarcoma, synovial cell sarcoma). These changes aren't apparent in blood and urine tests. Osteoarthritis is more likely because he "warms" out of the pain. That's not expected with a cancer.

Ok thanks just made a vet appointment for tomorrow like rite now I am watching him and he is walking fine but if he lays down and sleeps and gets up he is limping on is so what you are saying it could be swollen from athritus
if was cancer Wouldn't his leg be more swollen sense December the first pic was from today and sec one was from dec 26th he eats everything

Yes, that's another reason why osteoarthritis (or a soft tissue sprain, strain) makes more sense than a cancer. Let's see what X-rays show. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Ok i will thank he has a appointment for 420pm tomorrow i will let you know what says thanks

I appreciate it. I'll watch for your next post.

Well vet did a x ray and he thought also that is was joint inflammation arthritis but instead it came back what I thought it was it was bone cancer the vet was shocked.
I asked how long he has and said anywhere from a month to a year said it will most likely move to him lungs and start coughing and that to give him pain meds will help with pain and I will know when it is time to put down but he said rite now no coughing and lungs sound clear and no fluid
If you want to see x rays let me know

My condolences in advance. I would very much like to see the X-rays.

How long do you think he has vet said lung sound good and clear at this time only sign he has is limping and the swelling still eats great and no coughing and I forgot to ask vet about pain meds he is on a half of a 75 rimadle a day he weight is 29 pounds should I up his meds

Ouch! The prognosis varies with the therapy - amputation +/- chemotherapeutic agents - but with amputation alone median survival is only 4-5 months; the 1-year survival rate is 10%, and the 2-year survival is 2%. With palliative care only, survival times are up to 4-5 months and so you can see that amputating alone isn't reasonable in any age dog much less a 13 year old.

Consider adding a narcotic such as tramadol to his Rimadyl. Rimadyl should be dosed at 1 mg/lb twice daily or 2 mg/lb once daily. Giving any more than that doesn't increase analgesia but does risk adverse effects. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

you think it looks bad my vet said can get am how he will be because every dog is different he said not to do anything only pain meds because of his age he will be 14 in July he said I will know when it is time to put him Down vet said mostly he will start coughing and treatment would not be good

I agree with your vet. I would hospice Harley on an NSAID such as Rimadyl plus a narcotic such as tramadol.

Thank you very for getting back to me. I know it is the rite thing to do but hard to hear at this time I will not let him suffer but rite now he seems to be doing good

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.