Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 14 1/2 year-old female large terrier mix recently started…

Hello. My 14 1/2...
Hello. My 14 1/2 year-old female large terrier mix recently started taking Galliprant (grapipran) for her arthritis. She weighs 57 pounds. The directions state to give her one 60 mg tablet once daily with food. Last night, she was panting heavily and seemed like she was in pain.I looked online to see what the maximum dosage per 24-hour period was and couldn’t find anything, so I wanted to ask a vet. Can I give her a half tablet later in the day? Should there be a loading dose first, and then a maintenance dose after the initial period?Thank you.
3/10/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

Your terrier is on the correct dose & this should be administered only once a day. The problem here is that Galliprant may take a week or so before it shows clinical efficacy so she may indeed be a bit uncomfortable. Unfortunately giving more is contraindicated, but if you can get a hold of your vet, he can try placing her on an additional medication like Tramadol or Gabapentin to help get her through this induction period.

Has your dog had any recent blood work? Does she have any issues with her liver that you are aware of?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. Linda. Yes, she had a Senior Wellness Panel last Thursday.

And how were her liver values? Any concerns reported by your vet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No concerns that I remember.

Ok, then if you think she is still pretty uncomfortable & you cannot get a hold of your vet, you can safely give her 250 mg of acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) every 12 hours. Do not give for more than 3 days, but you should be able to contact your vet on Monday. This should help her get through the weekend.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh okay. Thank you. I never knew that acetaminophen was safe for dogs, even for short periods, but I trust you and appreciated your help.

It can be used for short periods & if a pet ( or person for that manner ), has a healthy liver.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Does it need to be given with food?

Sorry for the delay. I did not expect such a late reply.

It really does not matter for the short term. I hope you did not wait for my reply & have already given the medication.

Thanks again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did. :) I gave her a snack first.

Excellent! You can never go wrong with a snack.

Enjoy your evening.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian