Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 6 1/2 year old golden retriever after breakfast wanted to…

Good morning! My...

Good morning! My 6 1/2 year old golden retriever after breakfast wanted to go outside and became frantic about eating grass, monkey grass, tender shoots of day lily coming up. She is pacing in house, panting, drinking some water not an excess amount. I have given her a peptid ac about 30 minutes ago. Her breakfast was what I normally feed her-primal nuggets.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Golden Retriever's name?

Dooney

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dooney?

She is a healthy girl. That is why I am worried about this unusual behavior this morning

3/10/2018
Rebecca, Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Dooney. She sounds painful and distressed.

If you lift her lip, are her gums a normal pink color?

Does she appear bloated at all?

Her gums are pink
She does not appear bloated. I can press her stomach and she does not react.

Those are both good signs. If she starts to look at all bloated, that would indicate a possible emergency.

How much does she weigh, and how much Pepcid did you give?

She weighs 66 pounds and I gave her one original strength 10 mg tablet.
You read my mind-I have such a fear of bloat

I do, too. Bloat is very scary. She could take 15 mg of Pepcid, but 10 mg is a good dose for her size.

If she can eat and drink and swallow, that is a good sign this is not bloat. An Xray would tell you if her stomach is filling with gas, the first sign of bloat.

Is there anything else I need to be doing for her?

My own dog did this once, frantically eating grass and panting but it passed after an hour and she was not a breed that gets bloat. You can either keep monitoring her, checking her gums and feeling to see if her stomach feels at all distended, or if this keeps up, have a veterinarian check her.

The Pepcid was a good idea. You could also try Gas X (simethicone) to reduce gas.

She can drink, only fed her a treat since breakfast and she ate it like she normally does-very quickly! Do I need to take her to our emergency vet? Or how do I make the decision I need to take her

If she stops drinking, if her gums seem at all more pale, if she starts to look distended, take her to the vet.

Had not seen your additional info before my question about what to do next

Try the Gas X if you have it; that would be safe and gas pains could cause distress.

Please let me know if this is helpful and how she is doing.

Thank you. Once again you are so helpful!

You are welcome! Let me know if you have more questions and how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?