Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Guinee pig has diarea not eating very quite. Tu Tu 2years 7…

Guinee pig has diarea...

Guinee pig has diarea not eating very quite

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the guinea pig's name and age?

Tu Tu 2years 7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tu?

Not eating or moving, seems as he is dry recthing

3/10/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. How long has he been off food?What does the diarrhea look like?Any blood?Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Been off food since yesterday morning. Last 2 days has had Diarrhea, Yes Blood, Gums are pink and moist, belly is soft, no tensing or discomfort, or pain. My wife bought heaps of treats all started just after TuTu ate the treats. Breathing 132.Thanks
We will take him to a vet tomorrow but we have a*****to vet.

Hello again,

Now I am quite worried about Tu Tu.

I suspect the appetite loss is a side effect of the lower GI disease (which with blood raises concerns of possible bacterial or parasitic/protozoal agents though if she gave a lot of treats we may also have to consider an inflammatory colitis) but its actually the most pressing issue for him. This is because when this species goes off their food, for whatever reason, this can cause their gut to slow or stop, which can lead to gastric stasis, a situation which it is one of our true emergencies for this species. So, if he is off food/fluids, then it would be prudent for him to be seen now if possible before this can progress any further.

If we can, we would want a full physical exam by your vet check for the above. As well, they will be able to listen to his guts, check his temperature, and initiate treatment. To keep the guts moving and get them back on track, often these cases need pain relief, pro-motility drugs, +/- antibiotics. Though any delay and I want you to start supportive care now because we need to keep him eating to avoid the gut stopping. Therefore, we want to start hand or syringe feeding now (hourly)/. Now we'd really want his local vet to dispense a critical care feed. Very good products for this is Oxbow’s Critical Care feed or Supreme Recovery diet and most vets will be able to provide this to you. This is a highly nutritious herbivore feed that can be easily made into a slurry for syringe feeding. But for the moment, we can at least start syringing veggie baby food with canned pumpkin (which will also help with the diarrhea) and his pelleted feed crushed into it.

In regards ***** ***** if he is severely dehydrated then the vet might give sterile fluids under his skin. Otherwise, you can try tempting him with pedialyte (fruity flavors are best tolerated) or diluted Gatorade (50% diluted with water). These will help replenish electrolytes and get some glucose into his system. If he isn't keen on it, you can give pedialyte via dropper of syringe. A typical dose for animals is 4.8mls per 100 grams of body weight per day (obviously divided over all day drinking). This is his maintenance rate and it is a good starting place for supporting him against dehydration.

Overall, the lapse in appetite is our main worry here with Tu Tu as stasis is a dire emergency with guinea pigs. So, its good you are planning on having him seen. Sooner would be better in this case but if that isn't an option then we need to start our aggressive supportive care to keep the gut moving, keep him hydrated, and the pumpkin/fiber will help reduce diarrhea until we can get him there.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian