Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

The last 2 days maybe all she does is sleep. She eats a

The last 2 days...

The last 2 days maybe all she does is sleep. She eats a little bit. But she looks terrible. Her furs oily, she won't play, nothing...She just lays there and sleeps. She about 6 months old. A couple weeks ago maybe she sounded like she was trying way too hard to get a fur ball up. Idk of she ever did. Our other cat Luna had solar behavior before going into heat the first time if I remember correctly

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Nyx

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nyx?

She's never been in heat

Oh she's really hot, like heats coming off her. She mov3s slow almost like sh3 has no energy to move. I remember Lunas for doing this, only, shedding, just blah
No cries of pain, no being mean
She just sleeps
3/10/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Any retching, lip licking, drooling, vomiting, or diarrhea?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Well she won't hold still to let me measure her breaths. She seems like she is feeling way better today. Still not herself. She was fetching a little the day before she started all this. I don't think she got onto anything cause were really good about keeping stuff out of reach.
She did have diarrhea
No belly probs
Waters good

Hello again,

Good to hear that she has improved a bit, though her signs do suggest she is fighting off an infection (ie bacterial, viral, parasites, etc) as often they will sleep/be lethargic and may go off food. And that is quite suspect if she has had diarrhea recently as that could be our focus of infection and the nutrient/fluid losses can depress them further. So, that is much more likely then being in heat here.

With this in mind and since cats are not designed to be off food for long (else they can develop liver issues), we do need to make sure we are getting her eating. So, if she isn't keen then consider tempting her to eat with favorites or an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Though if she cannot be tempted, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned kitten food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise And if she is still loose, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Overall, Nyx's signs do raise a few concerns. Since she is feeling a bit better, we'd hope she is turning the corner but we can use the above if she needs a push to eat or is still having loose stool. Of course, if we use these but her signs linger then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with appetite stimulants +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Thank you so much. I have been tempting her with tuna and chicken. She's a lot better then she was. Still not back to herself but better. I can't thank u enough for us advice. It's off to the vet Tuesday.