Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 12 week puppy has been coughing for the past few days. We…

Hi my 12 week...

Hi my 12 week puppy has been coughing for the past few days. We took her to a vet last night that did a swab so we won't hear back the results of that for 3-5 days. We called the vet again today cause her coughing sounded worse and the only recommendation was to steam up the bathroom and sit with her in there to try to clean her up but it hasn't seemed to work

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the puppy's name?

Mika

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mika?

12 weeks, was first vaccinated on 1/8/18 and we got her last week and got her one vaccination last night (i can look up the specific names if need be)

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. Did the vet that evaluated Mika last night send home an antibiotic? Did they perform chest x-rays on Mika?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They didn't send us home with an antibiotic. They suggested a swab of eyes/ear/mouth and xrays - however, it was all getting very pricy so we did the swab and said we'd return for xrays depending on the results of the swab.

Did they tell you what the swab was testing for? She sounds like she needs to be put on an antibiotic (best choice for her age would be Clavamox).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Something about upper respiratoy and bordatella and then that the x ray would be for checking her lungs. Should we pay for xrays or should we try to find a different vet who will just put her on an antibiotic?

The x-rays of her lungs would be helpful to know if she has evidence of a pneumonia. If the x-rays did show pneumonia then it is helpful to have this picture/x-ray because they can be repeated in a few days to see how she is responding to the antibiotic. But, either way it sounds like she needs to be started on the antibiotic. You can try calling the vet from last night and asking if they would prescribe the antibiotic without a recheck exam. If not, then ask if they would do a courtesy recheck exam IF it has been under 24 hours since her initial exam with them.

Did you by any chance give her a bath before she started coughing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the last time she had a bath was exactly a week ago - and the coughing started around Sunday evening gradually getting worse to today

Okay got it. The reason I ask is because sometimes little puppies can swallow water and this can cause something called non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema. This is essentially fluid in the lungs but not caused by the heart. I have treated several puppies for this in the past and the symptoms usually will lag from the time of the actual causative event (i.e. a bath). So in that case the x-ray would be helpful because it would show if she has fluid in her lungs. For non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema antibiotics are usually not started. Instead, the puppy is kept in an oxygen cage in the hospital for 24-48 hours to give their lungs time to heal.

Chelsea Schwarb

So I would have you give that vet a call for advice as far as what they would charge for a recheck exam tonight. Ask them if they have an oxygen cage in their clinic (Not every hospital has an oxygen cage). If they don't have an oxygen cage, then I would ask them who is the next nearest clinic who does have one and just go there instead so you don't waste your time bouncing around to different clinics the puppy not being able to breath well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb