Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our pet turkey was attacked by a dog on Tuesday evening. In…

Our pet turkey was...

Our pet turkey was attacked by a dog on Tuesday evening. In the scuttle he has two very open wounds on his left side. One right under his wing and the other more on the bottom side. We felt fortunate to have found an aviary vet soon and brought him in within the hour. The tech met us there because the vet was out of town but she called us and set everything up for him. They treated him with two antibiotics, sugar water and meloxicam injections and then put him a cage with oxygen being pumped in. We know that he ruptured his lung sac because we could hear it. We called 3 times to get an update and each time the office staff would tell us he was doing fine. Then finally late in the evening last night the Dr. called back and said she was going to do surgery on him today and we would hear back mid day today. We were concerned about the time that was passing. This morning we called and they said he was fine but not eating. So we asked if we could bring him some food and they said fine. So I went in to see him and I was so shocked to see his wattle so filled up with air it looked as though it would burst! When I asked the girls about it up front they said it just happened before we got there and the Dr. knows and is on her way and will do surgery today. Any help with why that is happening? It seemed as though he was having a hard time breathing.... is there any hope? We don't want to say bye to our beloved Felicia!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the bird bleeding a lot?

No he was not. But the woulds look severe.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Not thst i can think of?

3/8/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with some of our concerns today.

I am so sorry for your Felicia. I can not tell you if she will survive her ordeal, but I can tell you that these birds are pretty tough. I wish your vet was present to deal with the trauma immediately, but it sounds like the support staff is doing the best they can.

The air sacs can rupture pretty easily with trauma. Most of the time, with suturing up the wounds & bandaging, the air sacs will heal over time. It is not unusual at all for subcutaneous emphysema to develop as the air normally contained in the air sacs leaks into the surrounding tissues. Normally this is handled by making a small incision in the skin to release the air & provide comfort for the bird. This may need to be repeated several times, or a one way stent can be placed.

I am sure the veterinarian will relieve the pressure as soon as possible, then proceed to address the wounds. But to see these kinds of swellings in a bird after a trauma is not too unusual.

Please let me know how else I can help or if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Thank you so much!!

You are welcome. If you can, I would appreciate an update on Felicia's condition, otherwise, I will check back in a day or so to see how she is doing. If anything else comes up that concerns you, please just reply back here. This thread will stay open for a week, even after you provide a rating, which I would appreciate. This is the only manner in which I receive credit from the site for helping you.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery for Felicia.

I’ll certainly let you know. Thank you for your quick response.

You are so welcome!

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Thank you so much for your help last week. I am happy to Felicia is home and we are hopeful she will make a full recovery. They closed everything up and is doing well as of now.

I am so glad that Felicia is on the road to recovery. That is wonderful news.

Thank you so much for the update.

Take care.