Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I'm curious to know can a 5 week old african grey parrots…

Hi Good evening I'm curious...
Hi Good evening I'm curious to know can a 5 week old african grey parrots skin on the side of the neck burst open through overfeeing
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I've never seen a crop rupture from overfeeding (the crop has an incredible ability to stretch) and even if it did rupture as from perforation using a metal feeding tube the food would be depoisted outside the crop and under the skin. This, then, would require debridement (removal of devitalized tissue), flushing of the subcutaneous tissues and surgical repair of the crop injury. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry to say but i just cannot figure out what happened i am feeding him with a plastic syringe and i ddnt hurt him only after feeding him did i notice the rupture on one side now it is on both sides i did take him to the place that I bought him from they say it happened through overfeeding

Thank you for the additional information. Did the skin truly open or just bulge?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The skin really opened i was asked to dilute gention violet and apply that on the open wound i did that i see he is healing

This is truly an unusual history. This sounds more likely to be an external injury. If he's healing, well, I never argue with success! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zain. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian