Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

We have a recently rescued collie/Aussie mix who has mucus…

We have a recently...

We have a recently rescued collie/Aussie mix who has green mucus in the corner of one eye. When our previous dog had this condition we were given a sauve to put in the eye as thought he may have scratched his eye in the woods. We walk in woods a lot. We put some of what we thought was that same medicine in our present dogs eye. Come to find out the medicine we gave him was for another ailment, not a scratched eye. The medicine we gave him is Optimmune0.02%. We know we should not have done this but are unsure about what to do now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No foot wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the collie's name and age?

Rocko. 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the collie's name?

Rocko

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocko?

No..he is a very healthy rescue

2/11/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am glad to see you realized this wasn't the right drop to use for what sounds to be a bacterial conjunctivitis. As you may know, Optimmune is an immune suppressive medication (its used for autoimmune dry eye). So, we just want to avoid using any more since it could make that infection worse. Instead, for the moment you can flush the eye with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. Use it 2-3 times daily to flush out the Optimmune but also the bacteria to see if we can reduce those signs. If it persists, then you could check the local farm supply shop for OTC Terramycin eye drops, else we'd want the local vet to see Rocko so that antibiotic drops can be dispensed (and they can stain his eye at the same time to make sure there is no bits of foreign body or damage underlying that may need to be addressed).

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

I aim to provide best care for your pets just as I do for my own patients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Ok... thanks for your help. We can do this.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.
**************************
Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian