Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Would you recommend pet insurance, or putting money aside in…

Would you recommend pet insurance...
Would you recommend pet insurance, or putting money aside in an emergency vet fund?
2/11/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the better options can depend on the animal itself. Cats and rabbits usually do not require as costly treatments/surgeries then dogs and may be better off with their own wee emergency bank account (and it is not used then you'd have it for other uses). With dogs, especially if they are active, accident prone, or a purebreed prone to a particular disease (ie cavalier spaniels with heart issues, westies with skin issues, etc), those would be better on an insurance plan since they can be quite costly for the long term without it and can easily drain an emergency fund. So, I do tend to lean to insurance for dogs and I can say even as a vet I have my 2 dogs insured for those possible more expensive operations or tests (ie MRIs) I cannot carry out myself for them. So, again it does depend on the animal, but for dogs (especially pure breeds, active dogs that may rupture a cruciate, or an older dog when they are most prone to systemic health issues) insurance usually is the better option.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

I aim to provide best care for your pets just as I do for my own patients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian