Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Can you answer questions about a wild raccoon? Limping,

Customer Question
Can you answer questions...

Can you answer questions about a wild raccoon?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the raccoon?

Limping, possible broken foot or leg. I’ve trapped her & she’s been at a wildlife rehab for 5 days, & they’re still not taken her to a vet, or had X-rays. Now they say she’s stopped eating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I can see no open wounds, & they don’t either. How long should she be at a center, before they take her to a vet & xray? Seems they’re just guessing. Now she’s stopped eating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the raccoon's name?

Sweet Pea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sweet?

I’ve been feeding several in my yard for years.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Veterinary
2/10/2018
Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. They should really get her to a vet that specializes in wildlife species as soon as possible for proper treatment and care. That's the only way for them to know the proper treatment. If a vet isn't involved with the case yet to do bloodwork and xrays, they are probably in over their heads with this case, it doesn't sound like something a wildlife rehabber should be handling without a vet examining at least.