Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

We have a hamster, probably 1 1/4 year old now. A week ago…

We have a hamster...

We have a hamster, probably 1 1/4 year old now. A week ago she got stuck in a tube. When we got her out it looked like her shoulder was dislocated. We took her to the vet who said her arm/shoulder was fine, it seemed lime a cyst. She tried to drain it but little came out. She gave us antibiotics. Since that day, she can use her arm better but has a 'ball' on her side now- assuming it is this cyst. It is literally like someone stuck a small ping pong ball in her. Very round and doesnt feel attached to anything. What is confusing is that we hold her all the time and never felt any bumps. This mass appeared in a matter of hours. Hoping you may have some info to help. It doesnt seem to be getting smaller. We are debating if it is getting larger. I do not think it is, but that her skin is stretching so the ball is dragging more and makes it appear like it is growi g

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the hamster's name?

Luna

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?

No. Eats ok. Still likes to run around Not as active but harder to move

2/10/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Hi, my name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I'm sorry your hamster has a mass on her side. The best way to find out what it is would be to take her to a veterinarian for a Fine Needle Aspirate (FNA), which involves the vet withdrawing some samples with a needle and syringe and make a slide and checking it under the microscope. It may be related to the cyst, or it may not be.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
We did take her to a vet who tried to drain it but very little came out.
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Can you help me understand though.....the mass did not appear until the injury the grew very fast. Do cysts do that?
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
is there anything we can try at home to help? She has the antibiotics.

You said the vet tried to drain it when it was near her shoulder, right? She might be able to get a better sample now that it is on her side. Does the lump feel hard or soft?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
It is literally like a little ball and appears to be free floating if that makes sense. It is hard I guess. Not squishy. It is behind her shoulder, on her side but since it seems to float freely it I now more on her side/belly area. When she was first injured (or when we thought she was injured) the arm was back and it seemed like she couldnt use it and there was a hump but not ball like it is now. That developed hours later. The vet was able to rotate her arm and since then the ball has moved a bit so her arm is able to be used better but it still is not 100;

Did the vet treat her with fluids under the skin?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
It seems like it is more an injury than a cyst because it happened so quickly.
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
No
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Just tried to drain. Got a little blood, no puss that I could see
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
She seemed to think the meds would work but the mass is not shrinking and I am still confused how it could appear so quickly

I agree that it's unusual that it popped up so quickly. Does it seem to be painful?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
No. We still bring her out to run around and she does.
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
It is just hard for her to move because the lump drags around

Ok, so hamsters do get lumps sometimes that can be benign or that can be cancer. It is strange that it has grown so fast, though. The best way to figure out what it is would be to get it removed and submitted for biopsy.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Yeah. I knew they got cysts/tumor but this grew huge in a matter of hours. I will plan on going back when she is done with the meds. With luck, it will start to go away. What are the signs to look for if she is in pain, other than not eating and freaking out if you hold her? Right now she acts normal.

The way it grew so fast makes me think it is a cyst or something else fluid filled. Signs of pain: Deep breathing or rapid, shallow breaths. Moving away or trying to bite when touched. Hair standing on end. Hunched back or stretched back.

Sometimes a broken lymph duct leads to that kind of fluid accumulation. Do you know if she had a fall?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
No. No fall. It started because she crawled into a tube thing that seemed to be too small. I thought she dislocated her shoulder trying to get out by the way her arm/shoulder looked.
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
The lump started the next day and grew
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
It was almost like when the vet moved her arm around it dislodged this ball
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
The mass is completely round and doesn't seem to be attached to anything inside her. You can pretty much wrap your fingers around it.

It sounds like a hematoma. That is when an area of the skin that gets bruised to the point that blood vessels rupture and fill up with a lot of blood. I see it in dogs all the time. It gradually reduces on its on as the body breaks down the clots.

I would just monitor for a few days and make sure it's going down. If not, she may need some anti-inflammatory medication from the vet to get it to go down faster.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
That is what I was wondering. Is there anything a
I can do to help her? Or anything we shouldnt do?
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
She is not in her cage , I don't want her to climb. But we still get her out and have her run around. She likes to climb around on our blankets.
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I can't imagine putting a warm compress on her. She moves around too much. She is a winter white
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Silly question. Is there any anti inflammatory foods we can give her. I seem to remember there are human foods

I don't know of any that would be safe for a hamster. I don't think warm compressing it would help anyway. Just time.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Ok. Thanks. I feel a little better!
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Have a nice evening

You're welcome! And you too.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian