Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

He’s been a little legthagic, but esting and drinking and…

He’s been a little...

He’s been a little legthagic, but esting and drinking and going the bathroom.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

But a also had a strange body twitch when drinking water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

He’s a 15lb min pin mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the animal. What is the's name and age?

SHARK and he’s nine

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about SHARK?

Just the legrhargy and twitch. Oh and he also seems timid to jump off the couch with in unusual

2/10/2018
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your Min Pin boy Shark who has been lethargic and reluctant to jump off the couch. As you can probably appreciate, there are quite a number of possible causes for your boy's symptoms, including anything from an internal organ issue, to a musculoskeletal problem, spinal pain, or even a purely behavioral issue. Whatever the case here with your boy, you are best to keep a close eye on him overnight. It is great to hear he is otherwise ok and eating/drinking/peeing/pooing as per normal. Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If he becomes any more lethargic, seems to be in pain, or if he is reluctant to move at all, then you are definitely best to get him seen straight away. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian

Hopefully that reply came through? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

It did. His gums seem fine. And he is breathing fine. At what point should I take him in to the vet?

Ok great. Is he still as lethargic as he was an hour or two ago, or does he seem to be improving? If he is still particularly lethargic and twitching, then you are better off playing it safe and getting him seen tonight if you can!

Dr E

Let me know if you need any further help Niko.

All the best,

Dr E

It’s been a couple of days now but he’s been getting better and more spunky every day. He’s in bed now (his choice). Main issue is I’m going out of town for a week next Saturday and am not sure if I shouldn’t take him in or not.

I think you should definitely get him seen before you head away next Saturday. A full physical exam and check up is definitely warranted given his symptoms!

All the best,

Dr E

OK thanks.

No problem at all,

Dr E

He’s totally normal today. Not sure what do now.

Oh that's great! Continue to keep an eye on him over the next few days all the same. Ensure he is eating and drinking as per normal and keep watch of his bowel movements as well. Hopefully he is just completely back to normal now, but if these symptoms return, do get him seen by your local vet early next week.
Dr E

HE seems fine in everyway at this point. Except he is still having a twitch/spasm when drinking water.
that is a bit strange. Hopefully that settles over the next couple of days as well.
Dr E
Hi Niko,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian