Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Dog ate dinner after taking her meds. She threw up 10

Dog ate dinner after...

Dog ate dinner after taking her meds. She threw up 10 minutes after eating and taking pills. I don’t know if she got any meds in her system or not

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Fiona,8 year old pit mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fiona?

She has an inoperable brain tumor and is on 5 mg prednisone 2x a day and 64.8 mg of prednisone 2x a day

2/9/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again Noelle,

Sorry to hear about Fiona's medical problems, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

This a very short answer I know but it 100% covers your question. If she thoroughly vomited just ten minutes after taking these pills then the chances are that she brought them back up with her dinner, they may have dissolved so you may not see them but the active constituent will be in the vomit, you will be taking very little risk if you give her another dose now.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Fiona's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you , I was able to get s hold of vet and they said full dose or half dose would be ok just incase

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Well, that would be a safe approach, that's for sure, and very good advice, I am personally not sure it would be necessary though ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you for your assistance, have a good evening

.

Hi Noelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?