Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Has limping and has poop stuck to his paw. I tried to use a…

Has limping and has...

Has limping and has poop stuck to his paw. I tried to use a baby wipe but he squealed in pain and didn't let me

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Has a 4yo guinea pig

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes. A 4yo guinea pig

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

He won't let me look

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the guinea pig's name and age?

I am going to bath him to get the poop off and see if there is a wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the guinea pig?

His name is sparky

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sparky?

We don't know his age as he was a rescue hujt we thibk approximately b/w 4 & 5 years old As per the vet we saw when we first got him.

Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Has an approximately 4yo rescue.he was badly neglected as a special needs school pet. He was underweight with severe GI issues when we got him. He was on antibiotics for 10 days and then he got better. He gained weight nicely and gets the full recommended diet for guinea pigs. We even got him a friend.
2/7/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your fellow limping and stools stuck to his foot.

Guinea pigs can be very dramatic over small things, especially if they have not had great care and learned to trust people.

Is he receiving vitamin C supplementation every day?

If so how is it given?

Is it possible that there was some sort of trauma (other pigs in the cage, accidentally dropped by a child)?

If you pinch his toes on that foot can he feel that?

Is he ever dragging his foot behind him or is he consistently carrying it?

If you look at the underside of the foot after removing the stool does it look swollen or have blistered areas or sores?

Most guinea pig pellets have vitamin C in them, but that isn't enough.

Once the bag is opened and the pellets are exposed to light and air the vitamin C degrades quickly.

We need to supplement them, growing pigs 100mg daily and adults 50mg to 100mg daily. If we do not supplement vitamin C enough we can have painful joint erosions and bleeding and they may not walk normally.

Trauma is another possibility for sudden lameness. Look for any signs of a puncture wound, swelling, or redness and try to determine if the affected leg is bent or angled differently then the leg on the opposing side. If he does not react to his toes on that foot being pinched that indicates a neurologic problem, either the spinal nerve roots are affected or the nerves that carry pain messages from his toes to the brain. This can be related to trauma, or a mass or intervertebral disc placing pressure on his spinal cord.

Finally if his foot looks at all swollen or red, especially if there are blisters or sores on his foot that can be related to a foot infection called bumblefoot. It causes swelling, erosions, crusts, draining, possible abscessation and thickening of the foot soft tissues. They will often limp quite badly with it.

Guinea pigs can also get callouses on their feet which will just lead to thickening of the skin on the bottom of the feet and possibly some cracks. The feet won't be swollen or draining however.

If he really has bumblefoot the concern will be how severely he is affected, how deep the infection is and how much of the foot is affected. A severe infection can spread into the joints and become systemic. In some cases the infection can become so severe amputation is required.

For now if you do see any sores or swelling of his foot I recommend soaking his feet in a very dilute solution of epsom salts and warm water. This is antibacterial, will help to decrease swelling and will make him feel better.

I also recommend putting him in a small carrier cage on a thick layer of clean towels with several layers of paper towels on top. This will keep bedding out of the infected tissue and keep his feet cushioned.

Make sure that he continues to eat and drink. Often guinea pigs in pain will not eat well and that leads to poor gut motility, bacteria overgrowth and serious intestinal disease.

If we catch bumblefoot early it is highly treatable with excellent nursing care, proper antibiotic therapy and keeping the feet clean. The prognosis is guarded for severe cases, especially those that have affected a joint.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have further questions.

I'll give you a link to a terrific website about guinea pigs. It answers lots of questions about guinea pigs and their general care as well as health concerns for them.

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

He is eating and drinking. His foor isn't bent in any way and has responsive when i touch it. He won't let me loosen the stool. I will bath him today with an Epson salt bath to really loosen everything and take a good look. He doesnt like to be held and touched given his history, and chatters his teeth at us when we do. Can I put muprocin 2% on his paw? Is it safe? Or is Neosporin ?
Further more he does get vitamin C. I feed him plenty of vit c ***** *****s

Great, I am glad he gets plenty of vitamin C and that he is eating and drinking well.

I am very, very sympathetic to his dislike for being handled given his past. But he does need that foot soaked so we can get a good look. Mupirocin is the ointment of choice for bumblefoot or any sort of skin infection (that are usually caused by staph bacteria) so I am very happy to hear that you have some. Definitely apply it once the foot is clean and then distract him by feeding his favorite green or perhaps some strawberries to distract him so he doesn't lick and the ointment has a chance to absorb in.

Great! Yes. We are a family of nurses (both me and my husband) so we always have good stuff on hand: ). Will do this asap and update when I've gotten a good look.

Terrific, please let me know how things go.

Honestly I think mupirocin is worth its weight in gold, I love that ointment!

Ok. Here's an update. I washed him well and soaked in Epsom salt. I did 10 minutes. I hope that's adequate. He fought really hard and squealed like crazy. I felt so bad but it had to be done. We loosened the stool and it came off. Poor baby. It looks like the stool got stuck around his nail and caused an irritation. To that toe, and between the toe. We trimmed his nails as they were long and put muprocin, under the toe and between. He is moat definitely responsive to the pain and guards and retracts.
How many times a day should we soak it in Epsom and put muprocin
We also gave him a treat. Pear and green grapes.... his FAVORITE so he knows we love him and just want to take care of him

10 minutes at a time is perfect. I would try to soak his foot in an epsom salt bath, then rinse in cool water, pat dry and apply mupirocin twice daily.

Make sure to check the base of the nail for fur wrapped around his toe/nailbed area. That is a common issue with these little ones and causes stool to collect and can cut off circulation to his toe/nailbed.

Ok. Thank you. He is now super angry at us and chatters his teeth whenever we come close to the cage..:(

Sorry! Hopefully as his foot starts to feel better he will start to appreciate your help.

I wanted to update with pictures. Here are pictures of his paws. What are those brown things? They seem to hurt him.
Here are the pictures
20180208_214924.jpg2018020...jpg20180208_214913.jpg2018020...jpg20180208_214903.jpg2018020...jpg20180208_214836.jpg2018020...jpg

Thank you for the pictures.

In the first and last pictures I see proliferative keratin, callus type, lesions on the sides of the foot pads below the toes. These are common in guinea pigs that spend a lot of time on rough/hard surfaces. They are dead skin and can, and should if the are uncomfortable for him, be carefully trimmed short after one of his foot soaks.

I see a couple of areas between the pads that look a little red, almost raw. I think he was very close to developing ulcers and secondary bumblefoot. He should be on all padded bedding right now.

We've chasnged the bedding to fleece with uhaul pads underneath.
So the plan is
Soak 2x a day 10 minutes
Mupirocin after
And should I try to remove the callous?

Excellent.

Yes, if you have sharp cuticle scissors, and he will sit still for you, you can cut the bulk of the callus off. Then let his foot dry and you can use an emory board/nail file to smooth down the base so it is gone, or at least flush with his foot.

If the callous is painful should I leave it?

The callus can be painful to walk on, sort of the way a planter's wart feels to walk on.

The outer part is made up of dead tissue, so it can be safely trimmed as long as you don't cut too deep. That's why I recommend cutting off the main part, and then filing the base.

Thank you for all your help!

You are very welcome.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara