Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dog is 8 months old Shar-pei.From beginning he was

My dog is 8...

My dog is 8 months old Shar-pei.From beginning he was treated by antibiotics because allergie(he's paws was pink and between was swollen.Total he was take antibiotics 2 months.We did everything was possible.Take him to the vet every 2 weeks.Nothing was better.Winter was come and allergie suppose to stop.But nothing change.Finely we decide change his diet for Raw.Right know he is 3 weeks on Raw diet.But he scratch himself and lick and biting his paws, not so often but we cant live him without E-collar on.We think because antibiotics he also have yeast infection .We give him a bath every other day with Curaseb also soak his paws in water and povidon iodine solutions.Not so much progress.Yesterday we spray him with 50/50 ACV solution.but this make him nervous and stressed.Yesterday i start give him Pau D'Arco suplement 500mg 2×2.his 55 pounds dog.He also have some warts looking fhings on his paw and new shows up on his elbow this morning.What we can do in this condition.Please help.We have dog show in 3 weeks.I dont like take him to the vet becase i know he finish with another antibiotic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

Yes

1/21/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Has your vet done any testing of his skin? Skin cytology? Skin scrape for mites?

have test for demodex.Was negative.

If he was on antibiotics for over 2 months and there is no response, it is likely that there is not a bacterial involvement. It is possible he could have a yeast infection, and the only way to know is to have a test called a skin cytology performed. This takes a small sampling of the surface cell of the affected skin to look for yeast. If present, an oral yeast medication may need to be prescribed.

Of course, it is possible that there are no yeast and all of the inflammation and itch are due to allergy. While it is true that in the winter, most dogs suffering from environmentally triggered allergies will improve, but not always, especially if he has indoor allergen triggers as well. If there is a food allergy, a raw diet would not necessarily prove that. A food trial may be done to identify possible food antigen triggers so they can be avoided. When considering a potential food allergy, you need to use an elimination diet to rule out. This is best done with a homecooked diet with very limited ingredients as some dogs are allergic to various components in commercial dog foods including the protein source, like chicken beef or lamb or the grain source, like rice or corn. Simply eliminating grain may not be a strict enough elimination diet to rule out a food allergy. It is better to eliminate all but 1 or 2 ingredients of a protein and a carb that he may not have been exposed to before and see if he improves. If a home cooked diet is not feasible, there are alternative commercial diets available with limited ingredients. These are prescription diets and an example is Hills d/d with flavors like venison/potato, fish/potato or duck/potato. There are also other prescription diets, like Hills z/d low allergen or ultra that alters the protein in the food in a way so as to not cause the body to react to it. If he improves on a limited diet, then you can start challenging him with additional food products to create a "safe list". This is a very tedious process and must be followed strictly and for a long enough time to confirm, usually 2-3 months.

It is very important to work with someone who understand skin disorders like atopic dermatitis and it’s triggers. They can look at your pets history and seasonality of itchiness, results of dermatologic exam and response to medications or diet change and put it all together. This can take a long time if it is done adequately. I would highly recommend that you have your pet evaluated by a veterinary dermatologist. They have a lot more experience in dealing with chronic and difficult cases.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

We change his diet because suspicious food allergie more then grass even we feedhim grain free, potato free good quality dry food.Thats why we decide change his diet for Raw because not so much ingredients there and if nothing change in 3 month on new diet we take allergie test.He stil just 3 weeks under new diet.What you think about mole looking things on his paws? And also what you think abot give him Pau D'arte supplement?

What is the protein source in the raw diet?

The moles could be benign skin growths or they could be an inflammatory reactive type growth (called a granuloma) secondary to all of the inflammation on the legs/paws and his licking.

I am not familiar at all with the supplement or it's use in vet medicine.

Its a lamb.

Well if he has ever had a commercial dog food or treat with lamb as an ingredient, this would not be a good food trial. It has to be a novel protein or one that he has never eaten in the past. Lamb is a common ingredient in a lot of dog foods these days.

No, hes never eat anything with lamb.

You also have to make sure that he is getting no other foods besides the lamb. No treats, no flavored medications, etc

Also keep in mind that if there is yeast present, even if he responds to the lamb, he will still continue to lick his feet until the yeast are gone.

We do are best.We give him just lamb meat cooked for treat.thank you for you all sugestion and sorry for my vocabulary.

You are very welcome. Good luck with him.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz