Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My 5 yr old yorkies anal glands are infected. She biting her…

My 5 yr old...

My 5 yr old yorkies anal glands are infected. She biting her paaws non stop. went to vet he expressed anal glands and gave her a prednisone shot, its not really helping. She keeps scooting too

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the Yorkie can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Yorkie's name?

Im lookin into hollistic medicine . im really scared about anal gland surgery. her vet also said its an allergy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Yorkie?

Her name id Pigi

1/20/2018
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Sara. Well, dogs can itch for many reasons. The big reason is allergies....this can be anything from food, to something environmental that is either inhaled, touched or eaten. (pollens, grasses etc). There is a correlation between itchy bum and food allergy so I am not sure if this has been discussed.

The first thing I would look for if I was seeing her is yeast. Many female dogs itch because they have yeast in the skin folds around their vulva AND some dogs have yeast in their anal gland secretions and they can have a yeast allergy. Do you know if she has been checked for yeast? This is managed with medication as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no she hasnt been checked for that. How is that checked

Very simply with a slide in the exam room. I take a slide and just push it on the skin around the vulva; there will be a smear on the slide. I stain it and look for yeast under the microscope.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok so het Vet would do this, she was just there today . he gave her a shot of prednisone. Not helping.
whats the traetment for yeast
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has no visable rashes at all.

I just sent you a picture of a vulva that is thickened and inflamed from chronic yeast infection.

So, it's important to understand that yeast and bacterial infections are secondary infections. This means that the yeast and or bacteria are already on the skin and they grow because the environment is right. Think of it like a burn (human). The biggest complication is infection because we already have bacteria on our skin.

With dogs, if their skin gets inflamed from allergies or they have skin folds around the vulva or on the face(bulldogs) they get a yeast infection. So, we can manage these infections, not cure them.

The most common treament is Ketoconazole to knock the levels down and then wiping the area with a medicated wipe or a shampoo... done a couple times a week.

If he just gave the pred shot today, it may not have worked yet, I would just look to find the cause of the itching.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just wait to see if prednisone works and go back to her vet on monday. How long does the shot take to see if it works
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would we find out the cause. She is 5yrs old and never goes outside. No food changes

The prednisone should help within 24 hours, and it will put a "band-aid" on things for a while. You could definitely go back next week and ask to have a skin cytology done for yeast.

Some dogs are Atopic. They just have a genetic propensity to be allergic to many things. There are always things to inhale that pets can be allergic to.

I really think it's more of a conformation problem vs. a truly allergic problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Inhale like my wifes beauty products
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
conformation problem?

Hmmmmm probably not. Not getting in the middle of that one :)

Yes, conformation of skin folds around the vulva or yeast in the anal gland fluid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HAHAHA...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds great. Thank you so very much.. Have a great night. I really appreciate all the help and info.

trying to cause trouble... it'll cost extra! LOL

Thanks, ***** ***** a good night also!

Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good Night lol
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian