Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My hen has a round black crusty area around ear, I think.

My hen has a...

My hen has a round black crusty area around ear, I think. Mostly under her eye. She is very steady walking & not rubbing it. I have a picture

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Nothing that I can see. The area is on her head, just under her eye. Her eye is not swollen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hen's name and age?

I am partially blind. Hard for me to focus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your hen?

No. S No. She acts very normal. Eats great! I can not drive. There are no Vets around me that will look at a chicken. Is there a way I can send a picture?

1/17/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, you can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Are you there?

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This appears to represent a skin cancer with a necrotic (dead tissue) center. How old is this hen, please?

Looks like you are having trouble finding an answer for me. I can’t afford to call.
I’ll let you go. It’s been a half an hour.
Thanks anyways,
Lynda Wilkinson

Please see my post timestamped 8:07 AM (my time). If you can't see it here's what I posted:

"This appears to represent a skin cancer with a necrotic (dead tissue) center. How old is this hen, please?"

She is about 5 years old. She was a mother’s day gift.

Thank you. She's an older hen and so skin cancer is more likely than an old abscess. I sent the photo to a friend of mine who is a specialist veterinary pathologist with a special interest in birds. I usually hear back from her within 24 hours at which time I'll return to our conversation with her assessment.

Do you think I will have to put her down?

I just heard back from the pathologist. Here's what she posted: "Fantastic lesion! I would love to work that one up. My differentials would include chronic ear infection, tumor, trichomoniasis... Great photo! Looks like a human ear." To answer you directly, whatever the cause without treatment it's likely to be life-threatening. There's no reason to euthanize her, however, as long as she remains otherwise normal. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you so very much!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Do I need to try to remove this? It really dosnt look like it’s bothering her.

I don't believe that surgical removal is possible. It's much too large of a lesion. If this could be treated at all, it would have to be conservatively (medically).

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
You are welcome.

Thank you for your kind accept.

Thank you.