Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

14 yr old Chiuahuah-Dauschund mix. Head bobs up and down and…

14 yr old Chiuahuah-Dauschund...

14 yr old Chiuahuah-Dauschund mix. Head bobs up and down and walks around the house much of the day and today cries out often.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

14 yr old Chuahuahua- Dauschund mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes. Please read above.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the's name?

Rocky.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?

His joints in his back legs are very loose and we give him pain and anti-inflamatory meds.

1/17/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rocky. His head bob (a tremor), aimless wandering, and vocalizing are hallmarks of encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus). The problem may arise in the brain itself (a brain tumor, for example) or the problem may exist outside the brain but affect it such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys which are intoxicating the brain. Rocky's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to see if an extracranial (outside the skull) disorder exists and which might be treated in a conservative manner. MRI would be needed to find an intracranial (within the skull) disorder - advanced imaging I would find unreasonable at Rocky's advanced age. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Jim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian