Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our dog Taffy is shaking her head. She can’t stand still.

Our dog Taffy is...

Our dog Taffy is shaking her head. She can’t stand still. Could you please help us.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How old is Taffy?

3 years this April

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/14/2018
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Taffy.

She is miserable and we don’t know what to do.

There can be a variety of conditions to cause head shaking.

What breed is Taffy?

When did she start shaking her head?

Is she also pawing at her ears or rubbing her head on the floor/furniture?

Is she able to make eye contact with you when you talk with her (does she seem consciously aware)?

Do her ears appear red, dirty, or have an odor to them?

Maybe a little dirty. Rubbing head on furniture.

Ok, what breed of dog is she?

She is a goldendoodle

Ok, it is very possible that she has an ear infection. Allergic inflammation in the ears is very common for Goldens, Poodles and Goldendoodles. When the ears are itchy and inflamed, they can be come infected by an over population of bacteria or yeast already on her body. The ears are warm, dark and moist creating an ideal place for bacteria/yeast growth.

Is she itchy anywhere else on her body?

How much does she weigh?

23lbs. She isn’t scratching anywhere else.

My best recommendation is to have Taffy evaluated by her veterinarian so that her ears can be fully examined and swabs from her ears tested to determine the cause of her irritation.

Until you are able to get an appointment for her to be seen, antihistamines can be given to decrease the itching of her ears.

Benadryl can be given at 25mg every 8-12hrs.

Thank you!

You are very welcome!

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian