Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Already told you and already paid. Should I start over? My

Already told you and already...
Already told you and already paid. Should I start over?
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: My cat lovey is sneezing and licking and I believe she's caught my cold wanted to know if I could treat her without taking her to the vet
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. How old is Lovey?
Customer: Love you is 9 years old and has a gluten-free grain-free diet she's only been to the vet a couple of times and I do not get her shots any longer because they always make her sick so for most of her life she has never been to the vet and she's never been sick
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lovey?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Rebecca, Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Lovey.

The human cold virus does not infect cats, so she may be sneezing for another reason.

Is she eating, and drinking normally, or is being sick affecting her appetite?

If she is eating, you can try using children's nose drops for her sneezing; Little Noses is one brand.

If she is not eating, if her gums seem pale when you lift her lip, if she is coughing, she may need prescription medication which would require a vet visit.

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Just started so can't answer question. She is sleeping, just woke her up and she starts sneezing and has a warm nose

If she is sneezing only, and eats when she wakes up, then I would try the nose drops for sneezing.

I am so sorry but I can't make calls for the website. That offer does not come from me.

Rebecca, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Can I give her a antihistamine or can a Rx be called in?
Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Is anyone there
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

You can get an antihistamine such as Benadryl Liquid, over the counter, and give her 5 to 10 mg twice daily.

Antihistamine may help if this is due to allergies; if it is an infection it won't make a difference.

Thanks for the great rating!

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Veterinarian