Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My rabbit ate half of a Tylenol that was on my floor but i…

Customer Question
My rabbit ate half...

My rabbit ate half of a Tylenol that was on my floor but i managed to get it from him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your rabbit will be able to digest that. What is the rabbit's name and age?

Theo and he is under a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Theo?

Under a year like 6 months maybe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Theo?

No he is new and hasnt had issues in the months weve had him !

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Veterinary
Hi any update on this situation about my rabbit eating half a possibly 6 month old Tylenol ??
It's been 45 minutes
Can someone please help i payed $25 for this ??
1/10/2018
Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed.

How much does Theo weigh and how many milligrams were consumed?

im guessing around 5 lbs and im unsure of the MG it was an old pill my bf had and we dont have the box anymore
But he ate half of a pill before we got it from him
I really hope i didn't miss you it's 2 am and I've been waiting up all night to here any sort of answer

Most Tylenol tablets are 325mg. Tylenol can be used in rabbits, but typically a much lower amount is given. High dosages of acetominophen can result in organ damage and failure, so I would urge you to see an ER facility overnight for treatment. If you need help finding one, please send along your city and state. Failing this, a veterinary visit tomorrow morning would be wise. I do not believe that this can be addressed from home unless you choose to monitor for changes in your companion, which may occur a few days down the line.

Newtown pa 18940 if you could point me in the right direction that would be great

It looks like this is the most local ER to Newtown: https://vetcares.com

If i take him in the morning if he ate it a few hours ago is he going to be ok do you think? Or is he going to die.
Does that ER take rabbits ? I've called a bunch and non do

The longer the medication is in the body without intervention the higher the risk of complications. If you can, the ER would be most ideal.

You'll have to call this one as well. They are, however, a specialty hospital and typically able to handle more specialized cases. If not, let me know.

I think i may have called them earlier and they didn't take rabbits :(

If they are not an option, consider U of Penn. They have not only an ER department but also work directly with exotics: http://www.vet.upenn.edu/veterinary-hospitals/ryan-veterinary-hospital/services/exotic-companion-animal-medicine This is their ER department: http://www.vet.upenn.edu/veterinary-hospitals/ryan-veterinary-hospital/services/emergency-service-critical-care

Thankyou

You're welcome. Good luck!