Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have for the first time three baby canaries, after several…

I have for the...

I have for the first time three baby canaries, after several trials the mother seemed to learen the job and both parents have managed to raise the three babies very well...they have about three weeks but the father this morning started to attack one in particular...the commotion was such that I woke up and had to move the baby attacked to another cage where I have 4 canaries who cohabit very amicably. What do I need to do? Is the new affected baby be able to learn to eat soon? Should I hand feed him? Please let me know.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Canaries

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the animal?

I have for the first time three baby canaries, after several trials the mother seemed to learn the job and both parents have managed to raise the three babies very well...they have about three weeks but the father this morning started to attack one in particular...the commotion was such that I woke up and had to move the baby attacked to another cage where I have 4 canaries who cohabit very amicably. What do I need to do? Is the new affected baby be able to learn to eat soon? Should I hand feed him? Please let me know.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the animal seem to hurt?

He was attacking him in the head, but just loss of some feathers

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the's name?

Gaspar

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gaspar?

Just a Baby Canary...he looks very healthy. I just need to know if I need to feel him or if the baby will learn by its own?

Did you send the answer to my question via e-mail already?
1/7/2018
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Veterinarian

Hi there, I am Dr Kelly and I am happy to help you with your question.

First off, how old is the baby Canary?

If it is younger than 2 weeks than you will most definitely need to bottle feed, but if closer to 1 month old, the canary should be able to eat on it's own. At about 30 days is when they leave the nest but sometimes still receive help from the parents.

It is definitely older than three weeks almost 4. He is full feathered bet he has an eaten anything for hours already. Should I start hand feeding him?

He should be able to eat on his own, try to supplement him with soaked seeds and cooked egg yolk.

Perfect. Thank you. What about baby food supplement mixed with egg yolk?

Do you mean canary baby food?

Bird baby food. I went to the pet shops and they had a generic baby bird supplement food.

That should be fine too. I would mix some in with seeds. Canaries feed their young the seeds too.

Thank you for all your help. He eats a little bit and went to sleep. Hopefully he weaks up tomorrow morning eating his own food. Tjanks

I hope so too!

Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Veterinarian