Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I adopted a dog from the shelter 2 days ago. She is a 2 year…

Hi Dr. Hill, I adopted a...
Hi Dr. Hill,
I adopted a dog from the shelter 2 days ago. She is a 2 year old mix. My worry is that she started making these hacking sounds and I have 3 other dogs that I don't want to get sick if she has something contagious. It would be difficult to take her to the vet. She was said to have behavioral issues and was on the pre-euth list, but she just seems scared not aggressive. I have video.
1/5/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would like to see the video, please. You'll need to upload it to YouTube or a similar app and then give me the link to it. By the principle of Occam's Razor any "hacking" dog just adopted from a shelter is suffering from the very contagious infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough"). In most cases this infection remisses within 1-3 weeks unaided and so I rarely prescribe antibiotics to these patients. A teasppoon of honey every few hours is likely to be more effective as a cough suppressant than any over the counter product. I might prescribe a narcotic cough suppressant to badly hacking dogs, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

https://youtu.be/MdK0vfnPX5k

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Infectous tracheobronchitis complex unless proven otherwise. The main differential is canine influenza which can cause pneumonia. If you didn't see a positive change in Brandy within the initial week following the onset of her hacking, an antibiotic of choice for kennel cough - doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate - should be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you. So let me get this straight. It could be kennel cough or canine influenza. Most probably it is kennel cough. I should keep her away from the other dogs either way.
I should wait a week, if it persists put her on an antibiotics like doxy or amoxi/clavulanate because it is most probably kennel cough. If it doesn't go away it can turn into a pneumonia in which case?
I just want to make sure I am not going to contaminate the rest of the gang. I have her in the living room and my other 3 are in the bedroom/deck area. Can they all use the backyard for thier necessities or is it that contagious where I should walk them. I believe my 3 dogs had to recieve the kennel cough vaccination (liquid orally or through nose) because I leave them at doggy day care anyway, but if she has influenza...
Thanks,

Correct on all accounts.

Correct. Pneumonia is uncommon with kennel cough but relatively common with canine influenza.

The rest of the gang have already been exposed. These infectious agents are spread by aerosole. She would have had to be in isolation as provided by a veterinary hospital for her not to have been able to expose your others. The vaccinations are partially protective. There's a vaccine against canine influenza, however. Giving it at this time to your others would be akin to closing the barn door after the horse escaped! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you, ***** ***** answered all of my questions. Elizabeth

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

ok ty