Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Everyday I give my cats their medicine in canned food. They…

Everyday I give my cats...
Everyday I give my cats their medicine in canned food. They have no problem with it and we'll eat it all and have more. Every once in a while however, both of them will refuse to eat the mixture. It has happened with every type of food that I give them. What do you think this is all about?
1/4/2018
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi there! Hope you all had a Happy New Years!

It would be so nice if we could just ask them...but one of the many mysteries of cats. I think it is theoretically possible that if things weren't very well mixed, they might smell or taste the medication,that could potentially put them off - and even if remixed , they just be too wise/put off for that feeding. It may be a little more likely, as I hear a lot from clients, that the cats just don't feel like eating that particular food on that particular day (even if they have eaten it before and seems to be a favorite), but they may eat it fine the next day with no problem - eg, it may be the food itself and not the medicine. It is also possible too, if their tummy is a bit off temporarily, that can affect their general appetite short term as well.

I can understand everything as you have said, but sometimes it is both of my cats at the same time. Sometimes I end up opening another can of food and putting medicine in that. But I can't say for sure if that is more successful and getting them to eat it as I do not remember. My big question right now is should I wait to give them medicine until another feeding and give them hard food now or should I keep the Bowl's with food and Medicine and give that to them later?
I want to note that my one kitty pepper seems like she is hungry is hanging around you waiting for me to give her something now. My other girl autumn, always seems to think - well they didn't give me what I want so I'm going to go away until they do sometimes she sticks around and then I give her hard food and she will eat that. But today, we left one of the doors open that we usually close and she went upstairs. We usually keep them on the first floor by closing the door to the basement and the door to the upstairs just so we are able to monitor their food and medication better.

Sometimes that will work to just wait a little bit, see if they get hungrier after a bit if you don't have anything down for awhile, they won't starve missing a meal - but most oral meds for cats have enough safety that if they miss an occasional dose it won't throw them into a tailspin. If you try again and they eat the meds later, they would be a bit off schedule if it is something we are doing every 24 hours (for the dosing the next day), but also most meds are safe even if they are getting a little closer than 24 hours apart. Giving them dry food instead wouldn't hurt if you're just going to skip a dose and give at the next usual time (always best to double check with your regular vet for your individual cats meds and history - but almost all the things we use have some flexibility).

One thing you might stock as a special thing to pull out if it is one of those days that they are seeming fussy, is a meat flavored baby food. Usually they like the very plain flavors by Gerber, Delmonte, or Beechnut, just meat with the gravy like chicken, turkey, or ham. Check the ingredient list that no other flavors like garlic or onion has been added. Sometimes warming a little can help make it more appealing too. Often they will be really excited for this even if they are turning their nose up at other things.

I didn't get to read your response until right now. The first thing I did when feeding my cats their dinner was to offer them the same kind of food but from a different container. They are eating Sheba select portions I think it's called - 2 connected together but they are two separate meals. For dinner I gave the one that was connected to the one they were refusing. I mixed up autumns with her medicine and she wouldn't touch it. So I switched flavors from turkey and gravy to salmon and give pepper her food and meds and she ate it right up. I did the same for autumn and she also finished it all. Do you think there could be something wrong with this particular lot of food that they would smell something in it that they didn't like? It just seems odd to me that they would both not eat it. But then again it is a new flavor. But they have never had problems switching with something so similar - chicken to Turkey. I hope that is not what happened because I bought a whole case of it.

It wouldn't be my first thought - but not impossible. I would try again at some point and if they keep refusing it, it might be worth sending a note to the company, often they'll send coupons or offer a refund. If it is something they've never had before, they just may not like something about the smell of it, but sometimes if you offer it again later they will change their mind. There is a reason cats have a reputation for being finicky ;)

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Thanks.
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian