Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My cockatiel is 12. My friend could no longer take care of

him so I took him...
my cockatiel is 12. My friend could no longer take care of him so I took him. this is the 2nd time he's had dried feces stuck to feathers and stuck on his anus. Last time I took him to the bathroom sink and kept putting warm water on his butt and I was able to clear it, but it was very traumatic for him. What can I do?I
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Pretty Bird
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?
Customer: My friend told me she never had this happen. I am feeding him the same diet as her, cockatiel food/seeds
1/4/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, you'll first need to stress Pretty Bird again and remove all of the droppings lest they scald his vent. Replace the paper on the bottom of his cage so once he's back in his cage you can assess his droppings. We're primarily concerned that they're not normal if they're sticking to him. They're either diarrheic or you're seeing evidence of polyuria (increased volume of urine) and the causes and treatment of each is quite different. Caretakers may have difficulty differentiating diarrhea from polyuria and so please consider bringing Pretty Bird and the paper to an avian vet (www.aav.org) to be properly examined and assessed, respectively.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. "Cockatiel food/seeds" concerns me. Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat. I admit that transitioning him to a better diet will be a challenge. He's at life expectancy and very much settled in his ways. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian