Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I had to clean a lot of stool from outside anus yesterday.

I had to clean...

I had to clean a lot of stool from outside anus yesterday. Today there was still some leakage. Tail has a raw spot on it as well as anus. ??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Shih Tsu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the shih tsu's name and age?

Mikey - 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the shih tsu's name?

Mikey

1/3/2018
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Is Mikey having diarrhea?

Any changes in diet or new treats?

How long has Mikey been having loose stools?

No change in diet or new treats. Since Mon. I don't think it's diarrhea. It's more like the stool doesn't drop and his hair is wet on his behind

He may be having some anal gland issues making it harder to defecate which can make the stool end up getting stuck to the peri-anal area on a pet.

I would see if you can get a technician appointment to have his anal glands expressed and see if this is causing the issue.

If his stools are really hard and he is having constipation issues you can add 1/2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin into his diet twice a day to help.

Ok thanks

If his hair is getting in the way getting it clipped back can also help.

If his tail is becoming raw from the abrasion you can apply A and D ointment for baby diaper rash a few times a day.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian

You are most welcome.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Should I Take him to vet

Only if there is no improvement in 24 hours

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian