Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dog is 5 years old and she has had diarrhea all day and…

Hello my dog is...

Hello my dog is 5 years old and she has had diarrhea all day and she hasn't touched any food. A little water. Very watery yellow stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Oakley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oakley?

She has just been resting all day not really herself but she will go outside to the bathroom and follow me a little around the house.

1/2/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your pet. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with issues with her runny yellow stool. If these don't work, I would strongly urge you to take him to the vet for bloodwork and an xray tomorrow.You can give Metamucil which is a fiber supplement that can help firm up the stool. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Schmidt