Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Threw up entire meal last night. Today just bringing up

Threw up entire meal...

Threw up entire meal last night. Today just bringing up liquid about 3 times. It has stopped now but she is just resting a lot now. Should I try to do anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the entire eat anything unusual?

I don’t think so but she was on the counter last night trying to find anything that was left behind our meals. Also I have cookies from Christmas in a closed tin but a few crumbs were around she might have had

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the entire's name and age?

Dottie 3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dottie?

I have 3 other cats that are fine. Dottie does inhale her food way to fast but ‘this time she threw it up in bits last night. Today she is showing no interest in eating

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Hopefully she just has an upset stomach.

Try withholding food for 8 hours to let her gastrointestinal tract rest.

During the 8 hour fast, she can have water as long as she is not vomiting, but no food.

To help settle her stomach, give her 1/4 of a 10 mg pepcid ac tablet every 12 hours as needed.

You can pop the 1/4 pill down her throat and chase it with a few drops of water so she swallows.

You can also crush the 1/4 tablet and put it in a syringe with water and give it that way.

After the 8 hour fast, offer her something bland like plain cooked chicken.

Start with just a bite and wait an hour to make sure she keeps it down before giving her more.

Keep her on the plain chicken for 24 hours.

If she does well, and does not vomit, then she can go back on cat food.

If she is still not eating, and vomiting, 24 hours from now she will need to see a vet as soon as you are able to take her in.

I have Pepcid available and she doesn’t want anything now should I try water by giving her drops of it?

But hopefully it is just an upset stomach and she will be back to normal in 24 hours.

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

If her gums are dry, she is probably dehydrated. In that case yes, you could give her drops of water.

I don’t have Pepcid is that ok to give her drops of water??

I have better luck giving the water with a syringe or eye dropper.

Yes, you can give her drops of water.

The stores are still open now if you want to get some Pepcid. They sell it at grocery stores, pharmacies, and walmart

Ok I’ll try that she is calm and resting now should I let her be or force the water

You may want to get the Pepcid now, so you have it on hand if needed, because most of the stores will be closed tonight and tomorrow.

If her gums feel dry to the touch then I would give the water.

If her gums are moist or wet, you do not need to.

Thank you I will do that

You are very welcome. : )

Happy New Year

Same to you should I. Contact you to let you know if it works

I will be online tonight and off and on tomorrow. You can update me.

Ok thanks

You are welcome. Buy some Pepcid now in case we need it later and the stores are closed later.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby