Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My GP has an upper respiratory infection. We just purchased…

Customer Question
My GP has an...

My GP has an upper respiratory infection. We just purchased her from Petco and are treating her at home. I was double checking her pink eye couldn't transfer to my 4yo. Do you have suggestions on how to get her to take her antibiotics?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Guinea pig

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. There are all sorts of infections the guinea pig can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the guinea pig's name and age?

Peppa, 10 weeks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Veterinary
12/30/2017
Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Peppa.

Guinea pigs can carry a type of Chlamydia bacteria that causes conjunctivitis in the pigs themselves. There is some research that this same bacteria has been cultured from humans and other pets.

So, technically, conjunctivitis in guinea pigs could be considered zoonotic (transmissible to people), I could not find any reference to actual clinical cases.

At this point, we don't know if Peppa even has that bacteria, so I would just encourage good hygiene practices - make sure any children wash their hands thoroughly if they are going to handle the pig.

What kind of antibiotic is she on and what form (liquid, pill, etc)??