Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My daughter's guinea pig is lethargic, not eating, crusty

eyes and some blood in...
My daughter's guinea pig is lethargic, not eating, crusty eyes and some blood in his stool this morning.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the guinea pig. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Percy and about 9 months to a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Percy?
Customer: He lives in a home with a rabbit, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. Also, my daughter just got over strep throat and a cold.
12/18/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

How long has Percy been ill ?

Does he have a regular veterinary who helps do his veterinary care?

I would be most concerned that he is coming down with Pneumonia. Penumonia is one of the most common diseases of pet guinea pigs, and is usually bacterial in origin. Respiratory infections are caused by a number of viral and bacterial agents including Streptococcal pneumoniae, Bordetella bronchiseptica, and a gram-positive diplococcus. It is very unlikely that he caught this from your daughter.

Many of the disease-causing organisms inhabit the respiratory tracts of clinically normal guinea pigs. Symptoms of pneumonia may include difficulty breathing (dyspnea), discharge from the nose and eyes, lethargy, and lack of appetite. In some cases, sudden death will occur without any of these signs. I am not trying to scare you, but i also do not want you to be caught unaware if he passes away suddenly.

Veterinary consultation should be sought when a guinea pig exhibits any of the above symptoms. Diagnostic testing may include radiographs and bacterial culture, depending on the situation. Aggressive antibiotic therapy in addition to supportive care of the patient may be necessary to get the condition under control. If you would like conservative therapy your veterinarian can start with some fluid therapy and antibiotics and give it 24-48 hours

Good luck with Percy. I wish there was some home therapies to try here but he most likely needs antibiotics which we cannot get for him over the counter. You can use a humidifier in his room to help keep his respiratory tissues moist, but it will not help treat the infection he most likely has.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** finding a vet to see him

Where are you located I can try and help find a veterinarian who can help

Exotic veterinarians can be difficult to find so if i can help you find one i am more than happy to.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am located in Smithtown, NY 11787.
I finally found someone in St James, NY

I am glad you found a veterinarian. Good luck hopefully all he needs is some fluids and antibiotics to get him back to rights.

http://heidihoefer.com​

Here is another one, but i am not sure how far they are from you.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian