Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I have a year old pit who is shaking her head and has open…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a year old pit who is shaking her head and has open sores throughout her body. I suspect she has a bacterial infection again. She was treated with Covenia back in September which helped. I am not sure what to do at this point. She is on a a dry diet of Purina One.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the pit can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the pit's name?

Bianca

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bianca?

That's it. I just want her to get better.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Veterinary
12/17/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now based on Bianca's history, I am concerned that the bacterial infection may be a secondary issue taking advantage of something more underlying. In her case, I'd be a wee bit concerned about mites but also allergies. Therefore, in her case, if her signs are severe just now we'd be best to have her return to her vet for antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories and to have them potentially check for the above concerns.

Any delay and we can try some supportive care to ease this for her. To start, since we are concerned about an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Furthermore, we could treat with a multi-species anti-parasitic treatment (ie Advantage Multi, Revolution,Stronghold, Bravecto) so that base can be covered. As well, for the skin lesions, if they are not diffuse, we could start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar (+/- shirt and boxer shorts) on your wee one to protect this. And just to note if there are extensive then a good quality anti-microbial shampoo (ie Malaseb, Malaket --both are OTC at vets and Amazon carries them) can be used to reduce bacterial skin load and with it help us heal those sores.

Finally, for her ears, luke warm salt water is safe to gently flush them out. And we'd hope the antihistamines to reduce that irritation there as well for her.

Overall, its uncommon to have primary bacterial infections manifest this way. Therefore, we do need to address them but we need to look into those likely underlying issues to help keep this from flaring up for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian