Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dog took 2 zyrtek pills instead of 1 for her allergies.

Is this life threatening?...
My dog took 2 zyrtek pills instead of 1 for her allergies. Is this life threatening?
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Zyrtec has a pretty wide margin of safety but I can double check my drug formulary - how much does your dog weigh and what strength of tablets do you have?

my dog weighs 44 pounds. it is generic zyrtek and I think they are 10mg

Ok great, give me just a moment to check that-

Any issues with her so far, behavior changes or anything?

So for that size, 44lbs = 20kg

The general safe dose is 1mg/kg (though they sometimes respond to lower doses), so 20mg should be just fine for her size. They can even have 20mg up to twice a day for an average size dog.

Even though it is considered non-drowsy, if they get more than they are used to having you could potentially see drowsiness short term.

Does that help?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started