Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Dr. Kara, I have talked to you about my dog that has Kidney…

Dr. Kara, I have talked...
Dr. Kara, I have talked to you about my dog that has Kidney problems. I now have her on the prescription diet K/D and my vet put her on Aluminum Hydroxide. I was just wondering why the Alum. Hydroxide. I know it binds an enzyme or something in the food but I thought that the K/D did not have that enzyme in it? Thanks Terri
12/5/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, again, it's Dr. Kara. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

Aluminum hydroxide is used in dogs with kidney failure to bind dietary phosphorus.

Yes, K/d is limited in phosphorus. That is because damaged kidneys have trouble filtering out this electrolyte. If they have high levels of blood phosphorus that leads to leaching of calcium form the bones and calcification of tissues. In these patients we could expect to see very weak jaw bones (called renal rickets) and/or calcification of the kidneys themselves.

While we hope that dietary manipulation helps by using diets formulated to be low in phosphorus, that isn't always completely successful. In those patients that still have higher than desired blood phosphorus levels we use phosphate binders.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara,
Are you familar with this article "7 Mistakes in Treating Pets With Chronic Renal Failure" at shirleys-wellness-cafe.com if so what do you think?
Ran into it when I was looking for a large bottle of Aluminum Hydroxide.
Thanks Terri

I am not familiar with that particular web-page, but there are many out there like it.

The truth of the matter is that the information on the internet is NOT regulated or edited, there is no due process to prove what is written. There are so many partial truths and falsehoods in this article I am really disappointed that the author chose to put this information out there.

Not one double blinded study was used, all the "evidence" was anecdotal, or based upon opinions.

I find it interesting that the author degrades scientific analysis, and our education which includes the ability to discern information that has some sort of proof behind it and makes sense based on science, and degrades that teaching as making trained veterinarians unable to learn. Because we learn how to learn and base cause and effect based upon rational science we AREN'T able to learn?? That is irrational.

The fact is that pets are getting better care and living longer lives than they ever have. With longevity come more cases of organ compromise and failure, as well as cancer. It's a fact that the longer we use something the more likely it is to wear out, our organ systems are no different. Dr. Flynn is correct that we are seeing disease processes we saw at much lower frequencies than we did in the 60's, but that is because we have pets that are living much longer than they did in the 60's. I think the obesity and behavioral issues with pets mirror that with modern day children. Not enough exercise, outdoor play time, way too many treats and not nearly enough proper socialization and training. I think it has very little to do with poor food quality or toxins.

People are welcome to give their pets filtered or bottled water to avoid add-ons in the water. But frankly unless we have a case where an animal is having trouble with forming crystals or calculi in their urinary tract due to high mineral content in tap water I find it un-necessary.

I agree that a poor diet filled with fillers and junk protein will worsen kidney failure, but the kidney diets formulated by the high quality companies I recommended are not junk food.

There was a report of pentobarbital in dog food not long ago. It was in food made by a small "boutique" type "whole food" manufacturer. It was discovered by veterinarians who saw sick dogs getting sick the same way after eating the same food. It was not one of the large manufacturers, because they have contracted with reliable sources and because they test their foods for quality before selling it.

I could go on, but you get the idea that I am much less than thrilled with the information on this web-page.

It is dangerously hyperbolic and inaccurate.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Great, I am glad to have someone who can understand and give me guidance on these things. I never believe much that I see on the internet but most of what I read I did not understand so thank you for the information. The one thing I would never do is risk my babies lives based on an article like that, I always check with the educated professional. Thank you so much. Terri

You are very welcome, your babies are very lucky to have you!

Hi Terri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxy. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara