Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Angel licked my homemade moisturizer which is half cocoa

butter and half coconut oil...
Angel licked my homemade moisturizer which is half cocoa butter and half coconut oil. I'm not sure how much. Maybe a tablespoon or two. She is 3, a mini schnauzer and weighs about 16 pounds. It was about an hour ago. I immediately gave her 11/2 teaspoon of peroxide and waited 20 minutes. She did not throw up. I have her another 1 1/2 teaspoon again and she didn't throw up. She went to bed like nothing is wrong. The peroxide still fizzes.
12/3/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Thanks for requesting me!

Was there anything else in the moisturizer besides the cocoa butter and coconut oil, like anything for added scent?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Mo
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
No

Ok great - so neither the coconut oil nor the cocoa butter is toxic, but for the oil that is in there, there is the potential for it to cause some stomach upset or temporarily loose stools.

Even though she didn't vomit with the peroxide, she likely will be fine - but could vomit later or may not have her usual appetite tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Thank you so much!

With her being prone to pancreatitis, it wouldn't hurt to do a bland diet for a few days, and if she was showing any signs of tummy upset she could have Pepcid AC as well, I think we had calculated 1/2 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours if needed-

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Ok

Hopefully nothing will come up, but if she is feeling really crummy in the next day or two, continued vomiting etc - she might need to be seen in person for anti-nausea medication.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian