Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I just sold a 9 week old rabbit to a family they informed me…

Customer Question
I just sold a...

I just sold a 9 week old rabbit to a family they informed me that their bunny has flaky patchy areas and tha t they are mites. I checked my 3 does and 2 bucks and found on of my bucks to have this same issue. What do I do. And how do you treat this in older rabbits and also very young bunnies 9 weeks old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your rabbit can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the rabbit's name?

My adult bu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your rabbit?

My adult buck is Toby. he is about 1 1/2 the young rabbit i Bambi and He is 9 weeks. they are orange netherland dwarfs the older buck weighs 1.65 lbs and the young baby weighs 10.7 ounces

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Veterinary
11/29/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I believe that you're describing Cheyletiella parasitovorax, the rabbit mite, and if I'm correct all in-contact rabbits will need to be treated with either ivermectin, selemectin, or lime sulfur dips. It will be very difficult for you to dose ivermectin or selemectin down to the appropriate dose for such small rabbits and so I recommend dipping with the very safe (but stinky) lime sulfur weekly for 3-6 weeks. You can find lime sulfur dip in your local pet/feed store or online. You should also disinfect their environment with carbaryl dust 5%. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?