Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have a 5 week old blue nose that as of today he started…

Customer Question
We have a 5...

We have a 5 week old blue nose that as of today he started having problems peeing. constant going out to potty but just drips he continues to walk a round out there trying. what can I do to help him or give him till I can get him to the vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Blue nose pit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Why would I look at his foot if he's having trouble peeing

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pit's name?

Haven't given him a name yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Veterinarian: Rebecca, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. He is only 5 weeks old? Is he still with his mother?

Is the urine just dripping out, or is he straining to urinate?

no mother passed away hours after birth. I think he is straining a little he wants out a lot to try to pee

I am sorry he is an orphan.

The most common reason for a dog to strain to urinate is an infection in the bladder, but that would be very uncommon in such a young puppy. Bladder stones are also highly unlikely.

I am so sorry but I can't make calls for the website; that offer did not come from me.

I would want to feel his bladder, to see how full it is. I would also like to look at a drop of his urine under a microscope to see if there is any infection.

What is he eating? That might give me a clue.

Try to encourage him to drink and eat, if he is not eating and drinking normally.

There are some rare conditions where a puppy is born with "abnormal plumbing", and the urine can't pass normally.

I did not hear back from you; how is your puppy? Do you have any other questions?