Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Dr. Kara, Do you know how much of the Hills Perscription…

Dr. Kara, Do you know...
Dr. Kara, Do you know how much of the Hills Perscription Diet K/D I should feed my 9# *****
My vet wrote out 1/3 can twice a day. Does that mean 2/3 total a day or 1/3 divided into 2 servings. Thank you for your help. Terri
11/18/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

At her weight I would feed Roxie 1/3 of a can twice a day, for a total of 2/3 of a can per day.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Thats perfect it just look like so much food but then I have never feed wet food.
She is very happy to have her bowl so full. Thats so much. Terri

Dogs in kidney failure often have trouble maintaining their weight, so if she seems too thin now or is getting thin you can ever try feeding 1/4 of a can 3 times a day, for a total of 3/4 of a can.

Canned food contains a significant amount of water in it so it often looks like much more compared to dry.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Her weight was a little low and I have gotten it up to normal now so this should maintain it.
You are so helpful and I had talked to you a couple of days ago about her kidney problem. With the great information you
gave me I was able to talk with her doctor and ask the right questions. I was the one who asked for the KD just because
you mentioned it. I did have one more thing you mentioned the Milk of Mag. stuff that is a binder. The doctor gave that
too me, is it milk of mag or is it a perscription I could not tell and is it important to give it to her seperate from her food or can I
put it on her food. Thanks Terri and Roxy

I remember your question about Roxie.

Aluminum hydroxide is a phosphate binder. That helps to keep blood phosphorus levels down when failing kidneys are struggling to do so. Ideally it is given with her food so that it binds the phosphorus and it is not absorbed.

It is not a prescription, but it can be hard to find over the counter.

Milk of magnesia is magnesium hydroxide, a different product.

Epikacin is an example of a calcium based phosphate binder you can also use.

I need to step away from my computer for a bit. If you have any further questions pease feel free to leave them & I'll be happy to address them later this evening.

Great, so are you saying I should not put it on her food?

You can add it to her food or give it to her directly after her meals.

Hi Terri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxie. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian