Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My bird has been trying to fly and had a crash. It can move…

Hello. My bird has been trying...
Hello.
My bird has been trying to fly and had a crash. It can move it's wings and can kick its legs when I lift it up. But it moves using it's wings and drags both legs behind him. We live remotely so a vet is hours away
11/16/2017
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello This is Dr. Hill. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do without having Wizzbizz seen by a veterinarian. Your best bet without seeing a vet today is to put padding in his cage for him to sit on and to make sure that he is warm (80-85). You can give him some time to see if the injury is due to inflammation of his nerves. If that is the case, he should improve over the course of several days. You will need to make sure to syringe feed him a gruel (blenderize his pellets with warm water) several times a day to keep his energy up. What type of bird is he? Please ask any follow up questions.

Thanks you his response. We live rural and have had rain to access a vet is going to be a not hard as our road is unaasessable. He is eating fine and is moving around really well with his wings. But as I said he can't stand. He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all and he can move his head and wings. Is there anything else we can do besides padding? If it is nerving how long would it take to see improvement?
I am seeing some improvement. He is trying hard to fly as it is a chick. Its legs are kicking and grabbing when I lift him. But he keeps trying to get out of the box using its wings. Would it be in pain if it didn't make any noise when it moves?

With nerve injury it can take up to 6 weeks to know if full function is going to return. After six weeks from the injury, there is typically not any additional improvement. It is a positive sign that he is already showing signs of improvement. It is difficult to assess pain. I would suspect that if he is able to grasp with his feet and is moving with his wings, that his discomfort is minimal. There is not much that you can do at home besides food, water, warmth and safe/padded bedding. Hopefully, he will continue to improve daily.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian