Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dog was bit by a larger dog about 3 hours ago. No blood…

My dog was bit...

My dog was bit by a larger dog about 3 hours ago. No blood or puncture but he has been acting on pain and won't let me touch the area where he was bit. The area is on his left side where the top of the leg meets the abdomen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Satchmo , he's an American Eskimo and he's 4 1/2

He's lying down but won't fully relax or rest his head.
11/16/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Big dog-little dog scenario

Have treated hundreds of these unfortunately

When they are bitten, the skin often gets torn from the underlying tissues.

This leads to a lot of pain, bleeding under the skin and tissue damage

You need to get antibiotics asap and pain medications.

During the physical exam the veterinarian should be able to determine the extent of the injuries.

Make sense?

Paul

in your opinion does he need to be taken to the vet tonight or in the morning?

IF he is painful then he needs to go in- sorry.

If he is fairly comfortable you can give aspirin at 10.0 mg/pound tonight and take in AM

Okay?

Ok, I had some rimadyl and gave him a dose of that about 2 hrs ago. I'm sure I cannot mix with aspirin?

NO

Do not mix the two drugs

Good call on the Rimadyl

You can apply a cold compress to the wound to help with the pain and swelling and to keep the skin adherent to underlying tissues

Hold for five minutes

Ok, thanks for the advice. Is it possible to injure an internal organ on that area if the bite wasn't strong enough to break the skin?

Very unlikely but good question :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Thanks again!! You've been a great help!

Very welcome.

Keep a watch on that area.

Update me if more questions

Paul