Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

She ate a grape. A Maltipoo. Its a dog. Korra, and she's 4…

She ate a grape ...

She ate a grape

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A Maltipoo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, its a dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the Maltipoo will be able to digest that. What is the Maltipoo's name and age?

Korra, and she's 4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Korra?

Her last doctor visit they said she had a worm, and she weighed 7.6

11/16/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Good news, Korra should be in no danger from eating just one grape, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. Well it is certainly true that grapes can be a very serious toxin to dogs under some circumstances, however I would very much doubt if your dog is in any sort of danger from this incident. The reason I say this is that the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic dose was 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. You can check this information via this link : LINK

2. Since 1 grape is way below any toxic level for your weight of dog there are no special measures you need take, the chances are your dog will be just fine. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Kora's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Korra is only 8 pounds, is this still the case.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

If it was only one grape then really she should be in the clear, an eight pound dog would have to swallow around four grapes before there was any cause for concern

The chances are she will be just fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you so much! You are amazing!

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott