Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Not sure but I think she ate part of a plastic toothpick.

Not sure but I think...
Not sure but I think she ate part of a plastic toothpick
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: IzzaDora(ble) one and a half years. Boston Terrier.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about IzzaDora?
Customer: she seems fine. It was in the last hour or so.
11/16/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Love that name! How is she acting right now? Any signs of distress for pawing at her mouth or changes in her breathing?

None

Ok great.

So even though the material is not meant to be ingested, it should not be toxic. I know you don't know for certain if she even ate it, but if no signs of distress at the moment, I think it will be fine to just monitor her for now.

It is possible the piece could be vomited it back up, which wouldn't be the end of the world. And if she doesn't vomit, that should be ok too.

She hasn't vomited so far that you have seen though?

No

So we want to be watching for a few things:

Foreign material can potentially be irritating, and if he loses his appetite, develops vomiting or unproductive retching I would advise consulting with your regular vet.

Every dog is a little different for their transit time, you could potentially see something as soon as tomorrow, but sometimes it can be 2-3 days. If her appetite stays steady, eating pushes things along so that often helps things come out quicker - but I would not change her usual feeding schedule or amounts. If it was a small piece you may not see anything unusual with her stool.

You could try some 'bland' food just to keep things easy on her tummy - chicken and rice (or some other low fat protein and low fiber starch in equal parts), start with a small amount to make sure we keep it down, and can continue for a few meals just so what is going through is easily digestible.

Does that help?

Sorry - she and her, not he and his!

Good advice!

Hopefully it's little enough that she won't have any changes at all, but if you feel like something isn't right tomorrow, be sure to check in with your regular vet.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
5 Terrific advice.
Sorry but I cannot pay any more. Your advice was great and what I needed st the time. Thanks.

No worries - the site automatically sends out follow ups - if you don't want to be a member any more, you can contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us, or 1-***-***-**** for help in that regard.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian