Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My 7 month old puppy ate a 1/2 bar of chocolate. What should

My 7 month old puppy...
My 7 month old puppy ate a 1/2 bar of chocolate. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Higgie boi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: he is 7 months old.
11/16/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

3. Was this milk chocolate or dark chocolate, and roughly how many ounces were consumed ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was Hershey’s milk chocolate and it was about 3/4 of an ounce. He weighs about 20 lbs and he ate it about less than 15 minutes ago.

Hello again,

Good news! your dog should be just fine, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Higgie Boi very much, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 20 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 14 ozs { Close to one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly the amount of actual chocolate he ate { 3/4 of an ounce } is well below any toxic level, so basically he should be just fine, this is not going to affect him.

2. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Higgie Boi's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?